Sunday, September 15, 2013

20: Bad Gets Worse – Pt. 3


Victoria shrugged into her shirt just as the doorbell rang. Glancing over at the clock she gave a sigh and started down the stairs to answer. The sun hadn’t even come out yet and already her day seemed to be starting. Seeing Derrick’s smiling face through the glass Victoria crossed her arms in front of her chest and contemplated going back up the stairs and ignoring him.


“I can see you Victoria. Don’t think I won’t sit out here all day if necessary. Now be a good girl and come open the door, or else I won’t share what I brought for you.” He grinned and shook the bag in his hand in front of the glass; she huffed once and shook her head. “Oh come on, I spent a great deal of money getting this right.”

Halfheartedly she traipsed over to the wall panel and turned off the security system before opening the door to let him in. “What’s in the bag?”


“What makes you think there’s anything in here for you and I wasn’t just saying that to get you to let me in?” Victoria started closing the door again and Derrick laughed. “Alright, alright I’m kidding. I bought you breakfast.”

“Breakfast? Like I have time for that?”

“You do today,” he replied and stood in front of the door blocking her possible escape route. She groaned and headed into the dining room with him close behind. 


“And don’t give me that, it’s the most important meal of the day you’ll need your energy. And I know you’d have just skipped it for a bag of chips out of the vending machine at work and a cup of day old coffee. Besides you told me to catch you later when you weren’t so busy, we need to talk.”

“Yes, we do.”

“I’ve noticed how off you seemed lately and figured it was because of everything you’re learning about what’s out there,” he paused and watched her eyes roam over the expanse of the table before continuing. Pulling open the bag, he removed its contents slowly as she took in the large amount of food he’d purchased.


Coffee, tea, muffins, omelets, pancakes, crepes, French toast and sausages; Victoria looked up at him and frowned. “That’s a lot of food. How much do you think I eat?”

“Like I said I spent a pretty penny. I wasn’t sure what you liked so I got a bit of everything. Minus the doughnuts of course because I’m sure you get enough of those at work,” he grinned and straightened the sleeve of his coat.

“What no orange juice?” Victoria joked and grabbed the coffee from near the bag.


“Damn it, I knew I forgot something! Sorry, maybe next time,” he sighed and took the seat across from her. “Alright, so talk. What’s been bothering you lately?”

“Everything. Like you said this magic business hasn’t been easy and the more I learn the less I want to know. Right now though the only thing I can’t wrap my head around is Cole.”

“Cole?”

She nodded and took a bite of the omelet in front of her. “Tasty and I’m not a huge fan of mushrooms.”


“Yeah this is made with truffles though, best on the market. They have a cleaner taste than the standard supermarket variety. I got everything from a gourmet restaurant so it’s all of high quality.”

“Aww just for me? You don’t want to try some of it? Can you eat normal food?”

“Uh yes I can eat regular food but no I don’t want any, I had breakfast before coming over. I figured you wouldn’t want to watch me dining on my meal while trying to have your own.”

“Thoughtful; as well as the breakfast Derrick, thank you.”


“Anytime,” he smiled as she took another bite and moaned when the fluffy eggs and cheese touched her tongue. “So what’s wrong with Cole?”

“I’m not really sure. I just know he’s acting funny.”

“Funny how? He’s still upset over the fact that I brought you home?”

“No actually he seemed pissed that I called him last night. He accused me of not appreciating him or something to that affect. He had a woman with him and when I was asking about her he just went off. It wasn’t like him. He’s never been so upset he just yelled. Even when he’s mad about something he could usually keep his cool which is why I was going to head over after work and check on him.”


“I see. Uh, Victoria, that might not be such a great idea.”

“And why not?”

“Because from the way it sounds, he’s under the influence of magic and you could be walking into a trap.”

“What?”

“I should warn you that learning the truth about yourself may anger a lot of people to the point that they will try and use your loved ones against you. This sounds like the typical kind of ploy to do just that.”

“Why would they use Cole? And how can you just assume that is what’s happening?”

“Before you two had that disagreement, was he acting strange as in overly affectionate, possessive, quick tempered or anything of that nature?”


“Yeah. I mean he’d mentioned wanting to get back together and even bought me this necklace,” Derrick half smirked hearing her confess it really was Cole who had given her the expensive piece around her neck. “But I didn’t really think much of his behavior until you and he had that little chat out on my driveway. Cole and I used to date and we broke up because he has a jealous streak ten miles long. If a guy so much as looked at me he would go nuts. I figured that was happening again when he pulled you to the side. I knew I had to nip it in the bud before things got worse. And just last night I called him and his attitude was…he wasn’t acting like the mild-mannered Cole I know. You know what’s happening to him?”


“I might. It sounds a little like an old friend of mine a few decades ago. He met this woman at a bar and instantly fell in love. I thought it was strange but he kept assuring me that things were fine; he knew as much about her as he needed and I shouldn’t worry. Well I didn’t worry until his behavior became obsessive and short tempered. It turns out the woman was a Succubus.”

“A Succubus; as in the medieval demon that has sex with men to suck out their souls?”


“Basically. They do so much more than that though. Succubae have a lust for destruction. They not only feed on the life force of the men they seduce but the women who may be in their lives as well, you for example. If the succubus is successful in her manipulation of the human she’s infecting, getting him to kill you will add to the power she sucks out of him. And getting him to destroy his life completely, well that’s like winning the grand prize at the end of the game show.”

“How long does it usually take for the infection to be complete? Because correct me if I’m wrong but Succubus usually kill their targets right?”


“Yes. After they get what they want, there’s no need for them to keep them around.” Victoria jumped up from her seat and hurried towards the door. Grabbing her sidearm and keys she hopped into her jeep with Derrick at her side and started off in the direction of Cole’s place.

“Cole has been off with this whole ‘let’s get back together thing’ for a while and I’ve ignored it! I just thought it was something he’d wanted but it could have been because of her! Damnit! This thing was using him all this time and I didn’t see!”


“You can’t beat yourself up about it Victoria. There’s no way you’d have known without understanding every type of magical being out there.” She sped around a corner and Derrick held on to the dash as he was thrown against the door. “Uh I know I’m already dead and all but I’d ask that you maybe slow down a little and use caution; at least for your sake. Traffic accidents have a high mortality rate.”

Victoria ignored his gripe and flipped on her siren instead as she pulled towards an intersection near a heavier area of traffic. “Where are all of these people coming from? SEE THE LIGHTS? HEAR THE SIREN? THAT MEANS GET OUT OF THE WAY!” she grumbled and maneuvered herself around the outside lane as she rushed headlong into downtown.


“Victoria…”

“Derrick, there’s time for caution later. Cole’s in danger and I can’t risk that this demon hasn’t already caused him irreparable damage!”

“You have no idea how to fight one of these things though and it will require magic, magic you have no clue how to use or even how to fully access!”


“Can they be shot? Stabbed? I mean I know many of your kind are immortal but anything ‘alive’ surely can die right? Have you killed a Succubus before?”

“Yes but some things take finesse and a whole lot of spell work!”

“Well then I’ll just have to fake it.” She came to a sudden stop in front of a modern high-rise building and hopped out leaving her lights running on the jeep.


The door to Cole’s condo released with a faint pop as if the freshness seal on an old mason jar was being pried open and instinctively her nose curled up in a grimace. The stench of soured milk and rotten meat suffused the tiny room drifting from the kitchen and flooded her nostrils. The fridge must have been overrun with stale and molded food. “Oh God,” she groaned and pushed her face into the crook of her arm.

“What the hell is that? This guy living with dead bodies or something?” Derrick asked stepping towards the door frame behind her.

She frowned and waved a hand in front of her face to expel the offensive smell from in front of her. “He must have something in the fridge that’s gone bad.”



“Yeah like everything! It must be the maid’s year off.”

“COLE?” Victoria yelled stepping over old newspapers and fast food boxes as she moved towards the hall and his bedroom door. “Are you back there? Cole?”

“Try the machine,” Derrick pointed and Victoria pushed the flashing button on the answering machine and a series of messages from mixed calls played. Cole, it’s Walker, where the hell are you? It’s been two days and McNally’s really riding my ass about that profile you did for the Fowler case. Call me back Man, I need to know where we are with this thing.


Another message began to play as Victoria took a look around the living room. Dirty clothes, used dishes and broken beer bottles cluttered the floor adding to the pungent odor of decay. Noticing a scarlet stain on the linoleum near the door, Victoria bent over to investigate and didn’t hear the sound of the door opening up the hallway. “Is this blood?” she asked Derrick hoping he could get a scent from where he stood in the entry.

He leaned forward trying to get a little closer but the fact that he was not invited in netted him as far as the end of the threshold. He shook his head no just the same as his eyes caught movement near the dining room door. “Victoria look out!” he yelled as Cole charged for her and crashed against the wall as she rolled out of the way.


“What the hell are you doing here?” Cole snarled and glanced back at Derrick before his eyes fell on Victoria crouching beside his couch. Anger curled off of him like smoke and Derrick slammed his hand against the wall as he was stuck watching the action unfold in front of him.

Victoria crawled a little behind the sofa hoping to block a direct path from Cole to her in case things escalated. “I wanted to see how you were doing, Cole. What is wrong with you? You were trying to hurt me!”

“I don’t want you here! Get out! You’re not welcomed,” he growled and a small amount of spittle leaked from the corners of his mouth as he fell forward.


“Jesus Cole have you seen yourself? You’re not well. I’m just trying to help.”

“I never asked for your help! I said leave!”

The sound of water running in the back bedroom lured her focus and she didn’t see Cole’s eyes change color as he lunged for her again. “VICTORIA!” The weight of his body tackled her back against the wall and her head bounced off the table with a soft thump. “VICTORIA!” Derrick snarled and felt his blood boil as he fought to move forward again. “Get up!” he exerted trying to command her eyes open. “GET UP!”


The bedroom door opened again and a svelte red headed woman tiptoed towards Cole. Leaning down, her fingertips brushed against his cheek and he looked up at her lovingly as she glared at Victoria. “Why didn’t you tell me we had company, Love,” she spoke in a rich, alluring tone that seemed to soothe the beast created within Cole.

He sighed and shook his head as he stood to meet her arms around his neck and wrapped himself around her. “I’m sorry Tessa I didn’t want to disturb you.” She turned to take in Derrick who remained within the doorway and hissed. 


With eyes locked on his she grinned and tenderly stroked her fingers through Cole’s mane as she spoke. “It’s ok Love she’ll prove useful to us. However, I think now it’s time we said our goodbyes.”

“Goodbye?”


“I’m afraid so sweetheart; something tells me that my time is drawing to a close here and it’s time to move on.” She caressed Cole’s cheek and pressed her lips against his. Derrick watched as a light blue mist appeared between their opened mouths transferring from Cole to Tessa. And after draining Cole, Derrick rumbled realizing her sights would soon fall to Victoria. “Pick her up please. I’d like to get a better look at what I’m dealing with.”


“Touch one hair on her head and I swear I’ll rip you in half you fucking vulture,” Derrick growled as he watched Tessa move over Victoria’s prone body.

“Oh that’s big talk vampire but considering the fact that you’re over there tells me you’re not on the guest list and in no position to make threats.” She eyed Victoria like a meal, her red eyes glowing in her skull as she inhaled the scent of her skin with a delighted purr. “She’s nice but a little too…lively for my tastes. Cole, why don’t you be a dear and break her neck for me.”


Responding without delay, Cole pulled Victoria against his chest and wrapped his arm around her neck tightly and began squeezing her head against his arm. “Cole don’t do this! Look at her! It’s Victoria, you know her, you love her, don’t listen to that bitch standing beside you! Let her go!”

Victoria awoke suddenly in Cole’s grasp and pulled at his constricting hold around her throat. Looking up she saw pure anger and rage laced within his expression and struggled to keep her neck from twisting in his hand. “What the hell are you doing?” she yelled and pulled his arm from around her neck. Keeping hold of his hand, she pulled him towards her and slammed her elbow into his jaw. The bone hit with a loud smack and he crumbled to the floor.


Victoria immediately jumped on top of him and smashed her fist a few times into his face until he was out for good. Tessa slowly backed away from her heading towards the bedroom. “Victoria get out of there!” Derrick urged and took a step away from the door. Moving as quickly as she could, she dove over the threshold into Derrick’s awaiting arms. 


“Are you ok?”

“Yeah, I’m fine. I have a pounding headache but nothing I can’t live with. So what now?” she asked as Derrick practically dragged her down the stairs and out of the building.

“Now we regroup and make a plan. I can’t go inside of that apartment so once you enter I’m powerless to stop them from doing whatever they want. Cole is like a super juiced human under that Succubitch’s demonic influence so you need to learn how to extract a Succubus’ hold on someone before it’s too late.”


Her phone vibrated on her thigh and she pulled it from her pocket seeing who was calling. “It’s work, I have to go in. We’re in the middle of an investigation and I…”

“Go,” Derrick replied as he looked down in thought. “I know someone who may be able to help. I will track down the spell and ingredients you’ll need and we can meet back up later. But Victoria, be mindful; this will require your full attention, if you want to save Cole that is. And from what I saw earlier she’s feeding on him constantly, we may not have much time left.”

Continue ---->

11 comments:

  1. Wow, Cole under the spell of a succubus. That's an interesting turn. Poor Vik's plate is gonna crack under the weight of things being piled on top of it. :(

    I am surprised Derrick is so willing to help Cole, but I suspect its more about wanting to help Vik. I hope the two of them will be able to save Cole before it's too late. :(

    And aww it was sweet of Derrick to bring her breakfast, even if it was a tad overboard getting basically one of everything on the menu. LOL It was the thought that counts. :)

    She really needs to tell him about those dreams before they get worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely explains some of his anxious and overzealous behavior. Hopefully Victoria will be able to get him out from under her before it's too late. Yeah, poor Vik. Her list of things to do just seems to get fuller and fuller and she's barely even cracked the top of that lid!

      Yeah lol Derrick couldn't care less about Cole. He's more interested in helping out his newfound witch bud. Plus it gets her some much needed practice with her craft, always a bonus!

      It would have ruined the surprise had he asked ahead of time what she liked to eat. But being over 400 years old, he has a nice pile of cash squirreled away. He can afford a smorgasbord of food :D The one thing she would have really loved was some OJ but she'll drown herself in coffee if that's ever an option too!

      That's a must for sure! She's already been a little afraid to close her eyes at night because of it!

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  2. Succubitch <--- LOVE IT!!!

    So that's the reason why Cole was PMS-ing. Okay then, I understand now LOL
    I'm sure Derrick was getting ready to go upside someone's head standing there in that doorway. From now on, we talk in hallways okay, let him in on the action.

    I hope they are not too late with Cole, seems he's been under her slime for quite a while and she did say it was time to move on...
    OMG his apartment has my skin crawling alongside everything else living there. Yuk!!!

    Maybe I'm wrong, but this is not a plot to get to Victoria. The succubitch didn't seem to know her, so they unknowingly put Vic in danger. Because she'll sure as hell go look for her now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! She pissed Derrick off and that's never a good thing. Tessa's is on a limited time frame now!

      Haha it's one of them absolutely. He was on a frantic, obsessive pattern that was heightened by the Succubitch's influence and became worse and worse over time. Derrick felt really helpless watching the action unfold. Now he has some pent up aggression and has to find a means of releasing it! Lol I'll remember that :D

      Yes indeed! The second half (which airs tomorrow) is a continuation of the same day and it's a matter that's tops on Victoria's list. Tessa needs to be eliminated before Cole breathes his last!

      HAHA yeah it was pretty foul. He needs to get that crap cleaned up, thrown out and reupholstered!

      Nope, Tessa's intentions weren't to get Victoria. Thankfully since she ended things with Cole she was no longer the "woman in his life" so the Succubitch did not want or need her to complete her ritual. But now that she's there, her interest is piqued. But Derrick also sees this as a learning experience for the new witch and with help, he'll get her taken care of before anything happens to Victoria.

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  3. What kind of...breakfast?! Breakfast for who!? I mean that's enough for a entire family!

    Any ways...A succubus! Well there are worse ways to go, sucks he's driven him into such a lust filled crave that he's trying to kill victoria though.

    That was a really close call, for Derrick it must have been very hard for him to just sit and watch. I'm always looking ahead though so I'm thinking if they do save Cole he's still going to want Victoria!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHA Derrick thought up a plan he didn't think would fail...except he forgot the OJ!

      There are many other ways this could have played out but Tessa was able to find someone hungry for love and filled that void. It is scary that she made him set his sights on Victoria but she was luckily able to escape his clutches...this time.

      Derrick really hated not being able to get in on the action. He'll have to figure out a way to change that the next time they face them. Otherwise, Victoria will have two super powered beings to deal with! Well your crystal ball may be pointing you in the right direction. A Succubus amplifies emotions, she doesn't create them :)

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  4. I'm liking Derrick's new attire and he brought her breakfast? Brownie Points for him lol. So Victoria was right about Cole acting off. Wow that was tense, I can't believe he attacked her! (I know he didn't really want to but still) And poor Derrick, I know it killed him that he couldn't come to her rescue. I really hope they are able to save Cole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Derrick's "style" seems to change often. Sometimes he's really relaxed and comfortable and others he's in nice suit shirts and pressed pants. But it is fun dressing him :)

      Definite Brownie points for treating her to breakfast! Even with his joke about stale doughnuts and coffee.

      I think it scared Victoria more knowing that his behavior was the direct result of magic because she still has no real understanding about everything that entails. She might have been pleased to know it wasn't her imagination but the reality of the situation was far worse that she could have known. It really did kill Derrick just watching from the sidelines. Even his threat towards Tessa he knew was meaningless because he couldn't get inside the apartment. But he'll do whatever he can to make sure that doesn't happen again!

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  5. That was unexpected! I would love to have someone bring me a breakfast like that, with the orange juice ^_^
    It's a good thing that Derrick did go to her that morning. Cole is really in a bad way. I was thinking that they would find a dead body or something. Derrick's inability to enter the apartment was frustrating for me too! *LOL* Victoria was very lucky that she woke up... I am really surprised that she actually went in to work... I hope that she doesn't go back to an already dead Cole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Anything to choose from and FREE! That has to be the best breakfast ever :P

      Derrick got there at just the right time! If they'd waited even one more day, Cole would have been dead. Aww haha he won't let that stand in his way next time. Derrick hates feeling helpless especially since he has as much power as he does. Although Cole's situation was dire, they didn't have what they needed to save him right then. Heading in to work helped her for a few reasons. Saving her job but also to distract her a bit while Derrick gathered everything they needed. But hopefully Derrick gets the stuff quickly so they can make it back to Cole in time!

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  6. Oh lordy, now a succubus (succubitch, lol) in the mix too? How is she going to manage to not lose her mind? Its one thing after another and now cole too. D is right, she really needs to talk to her mother, like, yesterday. This business isn't something to monkey around with on your own.

    ReplyDelete