Sunday, October 27, 2013

24: Pink Diamond Heist – Pt. 3


“Not the dead guy,” Mike responded matter-of-factly as he dropped a stack of papers on the conference room table in front of Victoria. “That guy you called me about last night, Brad Devereux, he’s connected. I’m talking dinners with Senators, golfing with the Mayor even fishing trips with the governor for Christ’s sakes.”

“But ‘connected’ doesn’t mean he’s clean.”


“Nope, not at all. In fact in our line of work we’ve come to find it’s the exact opposite in most cases. But I haven’t been able to dig up any dirt on him. He’s head of the Avondale Township clean up organization. Champion for the Parker Foundation, the committee striving to preserve Avondale’s historical buildings. He even hosts charity events to raise money for the families of Firefighters and Police officers killed in the line of duty.”

“Are you saying I’m barking up the wrong tree?”


“No I’m saying be careful, tread lightly. This is the kind of man that would have your badge framed and placed over his mantle after he disassembles your life and career. He’s not one to go after without very, VERY compelling evidence Vik.”

“I’ll keep that in mind,” she smiled and dropped her pen on the table as she pulled a loose leaf paper out of the binder Mike held in his hands. “What’s this?”

“Ah I pulled his financials also, that took some doing. And I collected any and everything else I could find about his charitable commitment to Avondale that didn’t hit headline news.”


Victoria read through the first four pages of information and grunted as each new paragraph described Brad Devereux as a saint always going out of his way to do for someone in need and never asking for a penny in return. “This is interesting,” she stopped Mike in his tracks as he pulled a chair out for himself and took a seat across from her before delving into the new pile of paperwork. “It seems Mr. Devereux is responsible for the Ireland museum loaning us their display. He championed to have the Heart of Bríd placed in Avondale’s museum for the course of a week. Lord Mayor Naoise Ó Muirí was hoping for it to be on tour of the major museums in Europe but Devereux pulled some strings to have it brought here.”

“Not only that, Devereux is a collector.”

“Of?”


“All things invaluable and rare. Art, coins, weapons, cars, and historical artifacts; look here,” Mike pointed towards a list of items on a page of ‘known facts’. “He’s very into mythology and made a room dedicated to those types of items in particular.”

“Mythology?” Victoria asked taking a look at the items on the page in front of her.

“Yeah it says here he has shrunken heads, talismans, vials of water from the fountain of youth I mean none of this stuff is real, can’t be right? Vampire teeth, wings of a forest nymph, pixie dust of a night fairy; oh this is a good one, the frozen heart of an Ice Witch of the Naga.”


“What?” Victoria pulled the file from Mike’s hands to take a look herself as a bad feeling clutched her gut and wrenched hard. “That’s…weird.”

“Yeah tell me about it. It’s very possible he’s our guy but it’ll be unpleasant even trying to get a sit down with him to ask. As many government officials he has as friends I can only imagine the yards of red tape we’d have to cut through.”

“Well nothing worthy comes for free right?”


“No guts no glory Victoria? Really? Barring a miracle we can kiss any chance of a warrant goodbye. One phone call and I’m sure a judge would dismiss this case as noncriminal.”

“Wow, your optimism is refreshing Mike.”

“Hey I’m just being realistic.” He glanced at his watch and dropped the final papers to the table with a grunt. “I have to get running; have a lunch date and I don’t want to keep her waiting.”

“Ooh anyone I know?”


“Uh no, and I’m hoping not to jinx this one until I know where it’s going.”

“That sounds serious!”

“No it doesn’t, not at all, take that back!”

“Alright, alright. Sounds like a one night stand thing.”

“Vik! Again with the jinxing, please?”

“Geez, you Italians and your superstitions, I’m sorry ok? Knock on wood, salt over the shoulder and all that. Can I at least say good luck?”

“I don’t see why not. And thanks,” he smiled and tucked his badge onto his belt. “Call me if you find anything.”


Victoria sat for a moment longer, glanced at the clock on the wall before sighing heavily and scooping up the documents to take home with her. She was calling it early. Working in privacy back at her place was better than listening to the constant hustle and bustle of the precinct. And if she was going to figure a way in with this guy, she needed to be able to concentrate.


Walking up to her front door with a box of files, she stopped suddenly as she noticed a crystal vase sitting on the stoop beside a teddy bear tied to a balloon. “Is it your birthday or something?” Derrick asked behind her as he grabbed the box from her hands to help her inside. “If so then I’m sorry. I’d have gotten you something but…”

“It’s not my birthday Derrick,” Victoria responded as she knelt down to collect the items. She pulled the small pink card from the envelope sitting inside the bouquet and smiled as she read it. “They’re from Cole. He said he’s tried thinking up ways to apologize about everything that happened between us and come see me but he’s been too embarrassed over acting like a complete jerk.”

“Oh, him. Well I actually haven’t missed him at all,” Derrick scowled and started after her inside the house. 


“I don’t think so much time has passed where we weren’t spending time together. Either sharing information or just talking about work or having a lunch or dinner together; Cole was really in a bad place. I think I’ll give him a call and see if he wants to see a movie sometime.”

“A movie? You’re going to invite him to sit in a dark theater with you where you won’t be able to see him plan his attack? Someone you haven’t seen since after the whole mess with the succubus. You don’t know if he’s even regained all of his faculties, Victoria. I mean does that sound safe to you?” Victoria shot him a quizzical look that Derrick simply shrugged off. “So it sounds like he’s hanging his entire obsessive behavior on the succubus then huh? Nice cop out.”


“You know if I didn’t know any better Derrick I’d think you were a little jealous.”

“Jealous? Of what? He’s a testosterone driven beefcake who believes he has some sense of entitlement because he drives an expensive car and lives in a high rise in the middle of downtown; Tessa didn’t make him treat me like slime the first time we met. That was him beating his fists against his chest like an ape who thinks himself king of the jungle, believe me I am NOT jealous. Besides I have better hair than him!”


“Right, not jealous then.” She sat the flowers on her kitchen table and motioned for Derrick to drop the box in the living room. Removing her badge and placing it and her gun in the lockbox, she stretched and prepared herself for another long night.

“Well?” Derrick asked dropping onto the sofa and eyeing her as she removed her shoes and loosened her hair a little.

“Well what?”

“You’re not going to ask me what I’m doing here?”

“Nope! I’ve pretty much resolved to label you a piece of furniture or wall paper. You’re over so often you seem more and more like an object I just throw somewhere around the place.”


“Lovely. You do know how to flatter a man, such a way with words!”

“Ok,” she laughed as he sat beside her pretending to pout as if her words really hurt him. “Would it make you feel better if I asked?”

“Well not anymore, the magic’s gone. I don’t even know you anymore!” Victoria rolled her eyes as he smirked and dropped to the floor to remove the lid on the box and get to work. “So what’s this case?”


“Funny you should ask because I have a feeling it’s mystical and I might need your help. There was a robbery of the museum; a large pink diamond worth a few million was taken from a display on loan from Ireland. Anyway the guy we’re currently investigating, Brad Devereux, has an affinity for collecting mythological items. Check this out,” Victoria slid the list of items contained in Devereux’s private library towards him and he let out a low whistle as he went down the list.

“That’s some interesting collection. I wonder how he came across such intricate pieces. Vampire teeth? I hope it’s no one I know.”


Victoria smiled as he sucked on his fangs and licked his tongue over the outer edges. Pulling out her laptop she went through articles concerning Devereux and his donations to the community. Mike was right, as connected as this man was it was going to be hard trying to find a judge to sign off on a warrant. And telling someone that the man collects body parts of living creatures that technically didn’t exist was not going to help. “What are you thinking?” Derrick asked watching the concern grow on her face.


“I’m thinking that this case is going to be a pain in the ass. But it needs to be resolved soon before the Ireland government starts reigning hell on us. I’m also thinking that if this guy is collecting parts from supernatural beings that he is either connected not only with the human world but the underworld as well OR he is a supernatural himself.”


“In my opinion, if you want to hear it that is, he must be a creature. There’s no way otherwise he’d be able to obtain these types of items from anyone without having an edge in my world. A human would have been flayed if one so much as touched a part belonging to a super.”

“Well that’s…scary. Thanks. Maybe we can figure out what exactly he is then.”

“‘We’?”

“Yes ‘we’ unless you want me to share with my very human, very sane partner what I’ve discovered over the course of the last months.” Victoria busied herself with the information in front of her as Derrick continued rummaging through the box of papers she’d carried home.


“Hmm what’s this?” he asked picking up the scroll that had fallen out of her laptop bag and reading over it a little. “Whoa, Victoria where did you get this?”

“I don’t know, the museum I guess,” she shrugged and turned back towards her computer.

“You mean you took it from the museum? It has nothing to do with your case. Do you know what it is?”

“Yes Derrick, a really old piece of paper. What of it?”

“It’s a prophecy, one concerning the Cult of the Damned to be exact. What made you go for this?”


“I don’t know. I saw it sitting on a shelf near the Egyptian artifacts and I felt…funny. It was almost like it pulled me to it no big deal.”

“Except it is. It’s a HUGE deal Victoria. The very fact that you were even interested in this in the first place is a big deal.”

“But I wasn’t! Like I said I felt a pull towards it and something made me take it and oh my God I stole something!” she jumped up and moved towards him as he clutched the scroll in his palm. 


“That was a crime scene! I stole from a crime scene! I have to return it! I can’t keep this! What the hell was I thinking? I’m a cop, my job is to arrest people who steal not become one of them!” she tried snatching the object from Derrick’s hand and he easily maneuvered it away from her. “Derrick!”

“Whoa ok? Put on the brakes Victoria and let me explain how this works to you.”

“What do you mean explain? Do I look like I need an explanation as to how the law works? Thief + steal = cop + arrest = jail; it’s a basic principle! Now hand it over Derrick!”

“No Victoria, I won’t. This scroll is important and very vital to what you and I are doing. It can’t be coincidence that the very cult we’re chasing after has a scroll that just fell into our laps! We need to read this thing, examine it and figure out what it means.”


“I know what it means, 5-10 in a maximum security prison! Do you have any idea how much that thing is probably worth? I took it from the Museum of Natural History from a display on loan from the Alexandria National Museum of Egypt! It has to be priceless!”

Derrick laughed at Victoria’s hysterical rant and shook his head. “Did anyone see you take it?”

“No but…”

“Were the cameras on?”

“Not at the time, we’d just confiscated the video.”

“Did anyone know you went into that display?”

“No, we were doing a sweep but…”


“Then no crime has been committed and for the meantime we can retain possession of the scroll.”

“Oh great! How nice it must be in your little fairytale world! I wonder how many actual criminals think like you ‘no one saw so no crime was committed’ are you kidding me?”

“Victoria, maybe you should pour yourself a glass of wine and consider a calming bath to soothe your nerves. You’re not getting this scroll from me, I’m faster and stronger than you could ever imagine and we need it.” She exhaled in annoyance and he grinned. “Good girl. Now get back to work. I don’t want your boss calling to suspend you or something.”


“You’re funny Mr. Constantine.” Victoria’s fingers clanked across the keys on her laptop as she sped through more useless trivia about Devereux. “Geez this guy has a thing for candy! ‘Devereux to Invest in Chocolate Factory’, ‘Ground Broken on New Candy Store’, ‘Devereux Puts Peter Rabbit out of Business’,” she read over headlines as they buzzed through the Nexus. “Maybe he’s some kin to the tooth fairy. They might have a partnership going to rot the teeth of children around the world and make a killing on dental work.”


“Hold on a second,” Derrick stood and moved towards the books from the box he’d given her. “There are certain types of beings who really enjoy sweets, candies, ice cream, chocolates, pastries you name it. They live off the stuff, honestly eating nothing else; the tooth fairy being one of them.” Victoria gave him a look and he shrugged casually. “It’s why she needs teeth, major dental trauma in her mouth!”

“Ew, gross! Well I can’t imagine a guy like Devereux popping into a pink leotard and tutu and flitting around with a magic wand zapping cavity filled baby teeth and leaving behind a silver dollar.”

“A silver dollar? You got a silver dollar for a missing tooth?” Victoria nodded and Derrick sighed. “You know what I got when I lost my first tooth? A pat on the back from my old man and a handshake as he said ‘you’re becoming a man son!’”


“Well things were different back then,” she paused and lightly giggled at the absurdity in her statement and Derrick glanced up at her over the top of his book. “Four hundred years ago. Whatever Derrick you know what I meant.”

“That kids these days are entitled brats who want nothing but money and electronics to satisfy their greed?”

“Ha! This coming from a Blueblood of Great Britain? Please! Did you ever go a day without being waited on hand and foot?”

“Actually yes as a matter of fact I did. There was that pesky business with my death and all, you might remember the story. There’s no wait staff in the afterlife,” he smirked as he continued reading.

“Whatever, Your Highness.”

“Found it!” he exclaimed and moved closer to share the writing with Victoria. She took the book from his hand and turned a little ways towards him as he knelt down beside her.


‘A Trickster, which can take the form of a man, woman, spirit or anthropomorphic animal, often plays tricks or otherwise displays disruptive and disobedient behavior abnormal of conventional conduct. The Trickster breaks the rules of gods or nature, sometimes maliciously, but typically for helpful reasons and often through tricks or thievery. Tricksters are cunning, funny, charming or even foolish’. Interesting, are you a trickster Derrick?”

“If that’s some underhanded way of saying I’m cunning, funny and charming, then yes, and thank you. But you don’t have to hide your compliments behind derision, I’m open to hearing them anytime!”


Victoria couldn’t help but smile at the smug grin on Derrick’s face before returning to the issue at hand. “Are tricksters dangerous?”

“They can be. It all depends on what their end game is.”

“Ok, and what would be the purpose of stealing a valuable gem from Ireland?”

“That I don’t know, sorry. You’ll have to do that detective thing and figure it out. But I can tell you that Tricksters are suckers for flattery. They are often very vain and very egotistical people who LOVE adoration of ‘lower beings’. It stems from that whole god mentality.”


“Great, my one weakness; complimenting people with already inflated egos.”

“Oh well I don’t know, since I’ve been here tonight you’ve compared me to used, worthless furniture and a bumbling, tumbling idiot. I think you’re better at it than you know.”

“Hmm, you know, I think that might be our way in; appealing to his charitable personality. I’d better give my partner a call in that case. We have a suspect to interrogate and a very short time to do it.” She called Mike to inform him of her plan. Asking Brad Devereux in under the ruse of ‘security protocol’ questions since he was in charge of the display and then ambushing him with questions concerning the actual theft. “What do you think?” 


I think you’re playing with fire but that’s nothing new for you.

“Yep and it’s nothing I can accomplish without my partner sitting beside me.”

You know me Vik, I always back your play. Let’s just hope this guy breaks easily. These kinds of people always hide behind their money.

“Yeah no kidding. I’m already dreading what his lawyer will say when the questions get accusatory. Anyway, how was your date?”


Um she’s in the bathroom right now which means I don’t have a lot of time to talk.

“Oooh back to your place on the first date? You move quickly!”

I’m Italian, we taught the world what love is! Hey I heard the water turn off. I gotta run.

“Fine but I want to hear all about it in the morning!” She hung up with him and glanced at Derrick who had prepared himself a drink before settling into the sofa once more. “Comfortable?”


“I’m getting there. If you really wanted to be a good hostess you could remove my shoes and give me a massage.”

“Jerk!”

“I try,” he grinned and raised his glass to her with a nod.

“I’m going to head upstairs and get ready for bed. You know the way out Derrick. I don’t expect you’ll be sitting on my sofa when I return.”

“Quite the contrary. I’m not leaving until I properly say my goodnight. Don’t worry though, I’ll keep your bar company in your absence.” Victoria ignored his final crack as she rushed up the stairs for a shower. After another two hours of Derrick’s company she was finally able to kick him out and get to bed. Thoughts of what a trickster could do teased her mind before she finally fell asleep but she hoped that the interrogation proved fruitful. 


“Thank you for coming in,” Victoria smiled warmly as she took a seat across from Brad Devereux. Mike paced around behind her a moment and Devereux’s eyes remained fixed on him. He appeared fearless and calm, his face mostly expressionless even when Victoria explained the reason for asking him in. “This is all just normal procedure and we’ll do everything we can to get you on your way quickly.”

“I understand Detective Carson. Please, ask your questions,” Devereux grinned as he popped a piece of chocolate into his mouth. His eyes finally moved towards her and the bracelet she wore around her wrist and his sudden interest caught Victoria’s attention. He seemed genuinely intrigued by it and hid a smile as she looked up to him to begin the interrogation. “You want to ask me about the recent theft from the Avondale museum correct?”


“Yes. We understand that you are the man responsible for having the display brought to our city. Is there a particular reason you wanted the Heart of Bríd here?”

“As you may know I am an aficionado of all things art. The Heart of Bríd is a remarkable piece that I’m not sure is fully appreciated. It’s not a manufactured gem. In fact the diamond was pulled from a large piece of granite found washed ashore off the River Shannon on Dublin Bay before traveling to Kildare where it was unearthed.”

“That wasn’t an answer,” Mike responded quickly and settled his arm over his knee as he began another stare down of their suspect.

“Of course it was it just wasn’t the one you wanted.”



“Funny guy, you’re amusing,” Mike growled and dropped into the seat beside his partner. “You came in here of your own volition to what? Play games? I cannot tell you the number of thieves, murderers, rapists and assholes I’ve seen sitting in that same chair with that smirk on their faces believing they were smarter than the police. The only thing that makes you different is the fact that you have a few extra pennies to toss around for your defense and trust me, you’re going to need it.”

“Is this that ‘good cop/bad cop’ thing I’ve heard so much about? I must say it’s rather underplayed on television! Bravo Detective Rizzitello, that wasn’t bad. A little forced but not bad from where I’m sitting.”


Victoria watched the two men stare one another down and lightly cleared her throat to regain Devereux’s attention. “In the process of getting the Heart of Bríd secured and placed in the museum, did you receive any threats or spot suspicious behavior from anyone?”

“Not that I noticed. Most everyone seemed to be going about the course of their duties as the day went on.”

“Was there anyone who seemed more interested in the diamond than usual?”

“I think everyone, had they the pleasure, would be taken by the Heart of Bríd. It’s as I said a remarkable piece. It’s a living gem. It seems to reflect light even in the absence of the sun. But there was nothing out of the ordinary that would have aroused my suspicion.” Devereux reached into his pocket to retrieve another piece of candy and the wrapper caused a great deal of noise as he struggled to open it.


“Need some help with that?” Mike asked in annoyance as Devereux finally unleashed the butterscotch and popped it into his mouth with a grin.

“I’m sorry how incredibly rude of me, would you care for one?” he asked glancing towards Victoria. She nodded her head no and Mike cleared his throat before starting with questions of his own.

“I understand you have quite the impressive collection of odd items. The Heart of Bríd would make a great centerpiece in such a display.”

“Would it? Have you had the pleasure of viewing my collection detective? I mean you must have seen it in order to make such an assumption correct?” Devereux smiled again as he noticed the scowl deepen on Mike’s face. This man was smart and was avoiding speaking about the gem in any direct way that would lead them to definitive answers. 


They believed they had lucked out when Brad Devereux agreed to voluntarily come into the precinct for questioning without the presence of his attorney. But they were still no closer to answers than before having his name as a suspect. Both detectives knew they needed to get something in order to obtain a warrant but Devereux was tight lipped thus far. “We have reason to believe this was an inside job. The men who broke into the museum worked as a well oiled machine, that kind of training takes money. We also know that you have access to the blueprints of the museum because of your position with the Historical society.”

Devereux glanced briefly at Mike as he spoke before redirecting all of his attention towards Victoria again. “Hey!” Mike growled and smacked his fist onto the table. “I know I’m not as attractive as my partner here but a little respect when I’m speaking to you would be nice.”

“My apologies detective, how may I be of assistance?” he smirked and feigned attention, using the mirror behind them to keep an eye on Victoria instead.


“Major chokepoints were used in order to stall and detain the security guards on duty, that’s not information any random person could come by with just a visit to the main floor. But someone in your position, a philanthropist with VIP status at the museum could gain access to that kind of information. On top of that, you have a history of ‘collecting’ odd items and as my partner said I’m sure you’d LOVE to have the Heart of Bríd as a conversation piece in your private museum.”

“Interesting theory detective but I had nothing to do with this tragic, tragic crime. And if that’s all you have then you might as well save us both the time and energy it would take on calling my lawyer and just let me go now. I was hosting a dinner party at my home for some very important people all of whom could alibi me if need be.”


“Being at a dinner party isn’t exactly an alibi. We have reason to believe these men were hired guns and you’re just the type of person to order out your dirty work,” Mike retorted causing Devereux’s ire to rise.

“Ok I see where this is going. In that case I think it’s time you did give my lawyer a call. I’d like to get home in time to catch the evening news and watch as your case blows up in your face.” Devereux sat back with an evil grin plastered on his face and Mike grunted as he pushed away from the table and exited the door in a huff to turn off the recording equipment.


“You know,” Victoria leaned forward and whispered towards the man with a knowing look on her face. “It won’t do you any good hiding behind your high priced attorneys, I’ll get to the truth one way or another and when I do no amount of magic in your bag of tricks will help you escape it.”

He again looked at the bracelet on her arm and noticed the color change to a shimmering red and smiled. “Well, well, well in speaking of magic it seems the Avondale Police Department has an ace up their sleeve. Tell me my Dear do your superiors know they have a witch working for them or do you leave your broomstick at home?”


“Why did you steal the Heart of Bríd?” Victoria asked ignoring his attempt to get under her skin.

“Oh the direct approach, well then, that’s a little different. Um, let’s talk about this hypothetically shall we? Let’s say if someone like myself…”

“A Trickster,” Victoria whispered and watched the smile slowly cross Devereux’s lips as he placed a piece of chewing gum into his mouth.

“A man of gifted means, wanted something, perhaps to get a certain someone into a location where she might not have gone under normal circumstances. Well he may have to resort to alternative means in order to accomplish this task.”

“Are you saying you wanted me at the museum? Why not just call and extend an invitation? There was no need to resort to robbery/homicide.”


“I’m not saying anything detective. I’m simply pondering the motives behind such a crime. But we both know the displays in the museum were only available for the next four days. There was very little chance that everyone could clear their schedules in order to take in the exquisite art on loan from China, France, Ireland or Egypt.”

“But murder? That’s a little extreme wouldn’t you say?”

“Vik?” Mike called her as he poked his head inside the room again. “His lawyer’s here.”

“Time’s up Detective,” Devereux growled and leaned back in his seat. “Word of advice, it would be prudent of you to check deeper into the background of the victim,” he suggested in whispered tones. Quietly she pulled away from her seat, her eyes still on his. She tightly wrapped her arms around herself as she exited behind Mike into the hallway and leaned against the wall as the two men came out shortly after.


“Well Detectives, I would say it was a pleasure but,” he smiled and turned to take in Victoria once more. “Perhaps in your case there was an exception. I would LOVE to learn more about you. You are aware of my sizeable contributions to law enforcement causes are you not? There are times where I host dinner parties and fundraisers at my home and you, Detective Carson, have an open invitation to attend.”

Victoria perked up and glanced briefly at Mike as Devereux took her hand in a bow. “Is that a plus one open invitation?”


“Of course. Although I’d ask you to be considerate of whom you bring into my home,” he frowned in Mike’s direction before lowering his lips to her hand and placing a gentle kiss on her knuckles. “We have so much to talk about I’m sure. You have yourself a lovely evening.”

Continue---->

10 comments:

  1. Well bringing in that guy got them no where fast LOL. Mike was getting pissed and it didn't even phase Brad.

    I was a little confused at first, I thought the dead guy was Brad, but I guess he was giving them the name of his murderer or at least someone connected to his murder. Either way, Vik realized hopefully that she's gonna have to stop trying to think and act logically and like a cop. She's seen enough now to understand ALL angles might have to be considered if these human and sup cases are going to start overlapping.

    and hahaha she stole something and acted so nonchalant about it LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol yeah Devereux was a TON of help! I think Brad got off on watching Mike get his panties twisted. He is a trickster after all!

      Sorry for the confusion. The ghost did indeed give her the name of someone involved which is why Mike's first words were "Not the dead guy". She thought it was the dead thief too! Yeah Victoria will have to sit aside her reasoning and start using her other skills to solve some of the cases that will come her way. Otherwise there will be a LOT of unsolved homicides!

      Victoria was shocked when she realized what actually happened. She had no idea she was taking it when she did. Sorta zoned out on the whole theft thing lol. And then Derrick just compounded the guilt although he told her there was no crime committed since no one saw. That should help a little :P

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, this whole thing is fascinating! I mean seriously, the research that must have gone into this. I'm seriously impressed by your dedication.

    Ah, Victoria is starting to tread into even more dangerous waters with this fellow. I am very eager to see how it proceeds and how Derrick will play a role.

    Also interested in knowing about this new love interest of Mike's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think research is one of my fave parts about story telling. Though it's fiction I love for my stories to have a certain feel of "reality" just something relatable (Is that a word? Is now). It makes it all worth it though when someone notices :) thank you!

      Victoria is making lots of new frenemies. She'll need to start keeping a list here pretty soon lol. Derrick was already tremendous help with setting her on the right track. Devereux is apparently a trickster. Now she just has to figure out how he plays into that missing diamond!

      It's about time he got some booty :P But according to him it's nothing new, he's Italian and they invented this thing called "love"!

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  3. And the secrets thicken.... great update :)
    The candy loving collector reminded me of L from Death Note *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! The more she learns the less she knows! Lol he was pounding away at that candy! Hmm, maybe he does need some desserts to munch on when next we see him :P

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  4. Heh, This Brad fellow sort of reminds me of a guy named Gus from a popular television show. Hiding behind his generosity and all, it will make him hard to wrangle. He's smooth!

    Also, not surprised to see Cole with the gifts! Looks like he's back to his old self and Derrick does seem a little jealous! Also Derrick is right, it really is not stealing if you plan to return it. Then it is borrowing, learned that from Spongebob.

    I think though Victoria has him right where she wants him with him inviting her to his home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad is indeed smooth and it doesn't help that he's also a trickster so he knows how to get his way with anyone! Plus no one will question the man with the money and the connections...no one except our detective duo. But even they couldn't penetrate through the man's stony exterior even when they KNOW it was him.

      Lol Cole was never that far behind. He has always had a thing for Victoria even with the constant "no". But he should really get the idea of being together out of his mind. Vik wants nothing but friendship from him. Derrick was jealous haha he was happy to see that Cole had all but disappeared because of the way he treated him but then seeing the gifts brought on a new emotion in our friendly neighborhood vamp.

      LOL! Well it's good to know Derrick has some support on his theory of "no witness, no crime". Perhaps they need to use it for what they can then and get it back in place before someone realizes. For now the only thing reported stolen was the diamond and that was because it had a MUCH greater worth than an old scroll from the lost libraries of Egypt!

      Yes she does! Asking for an "open" invitation leads one to believe she has someone in mind for her plus one!

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  5. Mike has a date? Woah. I'm happy for him, but I still want him and Vic to get together. At least a small part of me feels that way. Lol Derrick is so jealous. I like him and Victoria hanging out together. I'm starting to like their little relationship more and more, but I like the idea of her and Cole too. Especially now that he's not possessed or whatever. (I know I want to see her with every man in the story LOL). I didn't like how Mr. Deveruex was looking at Victoria or her bracelet. And the fact that he knows what she is doesn't make me feel any better. I hope Victoria is careful with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike is spreading the love! That would be a little awkward (in a way) if things didn't work out. I'd hate to see them become hostile at one another in the work place. That whole partnership/friendship thing though really does make them good for each other :)

      LOL! Derrick isn't even trying to hide it either! He hates Cole and everything he stands for because he went all macho man on him. But he hates him more because of his closeness to Victoria! Derrick and Victoria have a great time together; they are constantly kidding around but they know when to be serious. Haha that's ok :P it's fun to put people together like that I know. She had her time with Cole and didn't appreciate his jealous streak much. Derrick had better keep that in check if her's looking for a hookup!

      Victoria definitely needs to be careful with him! But him revealing that he knew what Vik was helped her better realize that he must have been the one to set up the heist and that he is the creature type that Derrick accused him of being. In a way it was helpful and insightful but she'd better tread carefully. According to Derrick they love playing tricks which are often times extremely cruel!

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete