Sunday, July 27, 2014

45: The Walls Between Us – Pt. 3


“Tommy Calabrese is currently in police custody. He is being held at the Avondale Police Department until a bail hearing is set. In a move that shocked millions around the country including members of his own family the long time Italian Godfather and rumored gangster has confessed to his part in over a dozen unsolved homicides including the recent assassination and beheading of Former Avondale Police Detective Michael Rizzitello’s brother and sister-in-law. Stay tuned to WXKY Channel 10 News for more on this developing story.” Every station in town and even some national media outlets were all covering the same story. Last week, Tommy ‘The Breeze’ Calabrese had turned himself in. For many it had come as a surprise but for Victoria and Mike, it was a long time coming.


Victoria sat with her newspaper in her lap waiting for her Captain to get back to his office. This was a decision that she had mulled over for a while and she needed to talk to him now before she talked herself out of it. The door rattled open and Victoria jumped to her feet as Ed Mason made his way inside his office, cup of coffee in hand. “Carson, what are you doing in here? I just dropped a couple of new cases on your desk. I thought you were running down a lead with…what’s his name?”


“Cordova, and no.” Alex Cordova was Victoria’s new partner, a rookie as green as the grass outside the Captain’s window and newest Detective to join the Avondale Police Department. She had been saddled with him two days after it was announced that Mike would not be returning to active duty and hated every second. They’d solved three cases during their short time together, most of it with Victoria holding his hand the entire way through. But now came the time to part ways. “Sir, I need to talk to you.”

“If it’s about your new partner can we skip through the part where you tell me about his incompetency and get to the end where you say you’ll remain with him out of the goodness of your heart?”


“Uh, no. He’s completely inept! I honestly have no idea how he even graduated from the academy without the grace of God and a dozen angels sitting on both shoulders. Today we were at a suspect’s house to interview his girlfriend about his whereabouts and he tells the woman that if she doesn’t give up his location he was going to shoot her dog! He then proceeds to accidentally discharge his service weapon while leaning against her wall and killing her fish tank along with several hundred dollars worth of imported Japanese Koi! You’ll probably get a phone call about it soon. I think she’s suing the department. I swear it was like watching Barney Fife on Red Bull! Or better yet an episode of the Keystone Cops! If I didn’t know any better I’d think you were punishing me for something but for the life of me I cannot fathom what I could have possibly done to warrant this kind of torture!”


“Detective Cordova comes to us as a courtesy of his new father-in-law, Mayor John Anthony Reynard. He wanted to see his daughter with a successful man and pushed him through the academy so he had a decent paying city job. If you ask me he’s hoping the guy catches a bullet on one of his cases so he can be rid of him once and for all.”

“And by the way he’s going that’ll be soon. You know mercy killings should be legalized!”


“This is why I gave him to you. Besides being the detective with the most seniority under my command you have an ability to nurture and guide the younger officers on the force. Not to mention the fact that you tamed Rizzitello. Do you remember what he was like when I first partnered you two together? If you can handle him, you can handle anything!”

“And that brings me to the second reason I came in here today.”

“Uh oh. This doesn’t sound good,” Mason commented as he leaned back in his seat and motioned for Victoria to sit down but she declined the offer. “Let’s have it.”


“I’m officially putting in my two weeks and resigning from the department Sir.”

“No. I decline your offer and will not accept your resignation.”

“What? You can’t do that!”

“I just did Detective, didn’t you hear me? Listen, Victoria, you’re lost without Mike, I get that. You two were close and you don’t feel as though you will ever be able to do the job without him. I’ve seen this happen a dozen times before. But just because the partnership is broken doesn’t mean you just throw in the towel and walk away. There are men and women on this force who need you; citizens of Avondale who depend on you to be their voice and help their families. You can’t turn your back on everyone.”


“And I’m not. I have plans to start my own agency.” Mason sighed as he listened to Victoria speak and she grew silent a moment. By the look on his face, he was not so inclined to let her leave, especially to begin investigating crimes as a Private Investigator. Victoria already knew how her Captain felt on the subject, but this was not something she’d taken interest in lightly. “I cannot operate in my full capacity as a detective here any longer. I feel it is in my best interest to leave before things get worse. I’ve been distracted lately and I don’t think it’ll get better any time soon.”


“Then take some time off. I’ll authorize any vacation time you need right here and now. But quitting, I just can’t accept that, Carson. You’re one of the best detectives I’ve ever had the pleasure of working with. You have a close rate that any department would envy because you’re good at what you do. What will happen to the victims and their families without someone like you advocating for their justice?”

“I’m sorry to disappoint you, Cappy. But this is what I need.”

“And I doubt a bribe in the form of a raise could change your mind?” Mason sighed as Victoria shook her head no. “You’re sure this is what you want?”

“Absolutely, Captain.”


“Then I guess I have no choice but to acknowledge your resignation. You got your two weeks, Detective. Good luck with where you go from here.”

“Thank you, Captain.” Victoria left a note on her new partner’s desk before heading for the door. The next stop on her list was Mike’s place. She was on a roll today and wanted to strike while the iron was hot. Knocking once, she waited until her ex-partner acknowledged her presence at the door before showing herself into his living room. 


Victoria smiled as he wheeled himself around the corner with a scowl on his face as he greeted her. “You know I could roll a cot out for you if you insist on coming over so much.”

“No need, I have a key and I can always sleep on the couch if need be. Thanks though, Mikey, that’s very thoughtful of you.” Looking around she noticed some of the feminine items she’d seen before were moved but the smell of Chanel still lingered in the air. “Aria…?”

“She’s away on business again. She insisted on moving in too. Probably thinks I’ll give her my last name.”

“And there’s something wrong with that?”


“Nah,” Mike shrugged. “I can’t seem to get rid of her and believe me I’ve tried. She’s a good woman; I have no idea what she’s doing with me.” Mike laughed when Victoria agreed with his thought. “Thanks partner!”

“Anytime!”

“So what brings you over today? New capers of Barney Fife?”

“If I started in on Detective Cordova I would be here all night and you’ve already shown me how much you’d love that! No. I came to talk to you about something else, something big.”


“‘Big’ as in I need a drink before I hear this ‘big’ or I should probably be sitting down ‘big.’” Mike glanced at the chair beneath him and graced Victoria with a boyish grin that showed off his polished teeth.

“I want to tell you something about me that might be a little hard to believe. But you’ve been my partner for seven years and a friend for a little longer than that. During that time we’ve been threatened, shot at, rundown, beaten and then some and have come through on the other side because we had each other. There’s no one I’d trust more with what I’m about to tell you.”

“Geez, Vik, are you dying?”

“No, better. I’m a witch.”


“Well I always knew you could be a bit of a bitch but being a woman in this line of work, that’s just normal.”

“No, Mike, not an angry woman ‘witch.’ I mean I’m a spell casting, broomstick riding, evil cackling witch.”

“Uh huh. And when did you first discover you were crazy?”

“Mike, I’m serious.”

“And I think that worries me more, Vik. You’ve read the paper right? Calabrese turned himself in! You and I are going to testify at his trial once everything gets under way! You can’t pull something like this right now!”


“Mike, I’m not crazy.” Victoria pleaded and rubbed her hands nervously on her thighs. “Calabrese will go away for everything he’s done and I will testify truthfully on the stand concerning the crimes we investigated. But what I’m saying to you has nothing to do with my ability to testify. I’m trying to be honest…I’m trying to let you in on something very personal. I don’t want there to be any walls between us because I have a proposition for you that I hope you accept.”

“I don’t know what you want me to say.”


“Don’t say anything. Just watch.” Victoria stood from her seat and took a step back from her partner. Raising her hands just above her waist, she began chanting beneath her breath. As Mike looked on a large orb formed in both of her opened palms. Victoria conjured a quick levitation spell as well as a chain of others to convince her partner of her magic.

Handing him an apple she conjured from thin air, he stared at it a moment before reclaiming her gaze and shook his head in disbelief. “Victoria…”

“I know, Mike. Imagine my surprise when I learned about it myself,” she smiled crookedly as she stood in front of him. “My Mom thought it was something best kept a secret until I almost accidentally blew myself up; not really but you get my meaning.” He paused for a very long time, causing the nerves in Victoria to kick up a notch and she paced anxiously in front of him. “Mike?” she spoke in a whisper, dipping her head to change his line of sight but still he remained silent. “Well say something!”

“Uh…well…uh…wow. I gotta say this isn’t what I was expecting to…hear.”


“Are you scared?” Victoria asked, assessing the look on her partner’s face.

“I’m—processing. Really just…taking it all in,” he sighed, feeling beads of sweat forming on his brow. “So…y-y-you’re…a-a…um…wow,” he stuttered before biting into the apple in his hand. “It’s sweet.”

“Yeah…”

“Yeah…,” he mimicked. Silence again enveloped the room as Mike toyed with the conjured fruit and Victoria closed her eyes, debating over whether or not it was a mistake telling him anything at all. For now, though, she would keep Derrick’s true nature a secret.

“So…,” Victoria grinned and and took her seat before continuing. “You think I’m a bitch huh?”


“Well I mean…not literally…just—sometimes.” He paused and smiled at the apple again. “On second thought, I’d like to retract all negative statements I’ve made about you. Also I’d like to vehemently apologize for the very mild, very harmless pranks I pulled on you in hopes that you won’t uh, blow me up.” Mike chuckled loudly and Victoria laughed along with him.

“I don’t think you have to worry about that. But just remember, I’m watching you,” Victoria smiled as she leaned forward in her seat and he gave her a salute.

“Right,” he nervously drummed his fingers on the arm of his wheelchair. “So…whats this proposition?”

“Um, well first let me say I quit the department.”

“Wow,” Mike whistled and fell back in his chair. “The hits just keep on coming.”

“But I have great news. It’s the reason I came over in the first place.” Mike looked up at her with a dubious glare. “Don’t worry, Mikey, you’ll like this part!”


Victoria spoke to her ex-partner about the feelings of worthlessness from unsolved cases and how she felt she could help victims outside of the department. She also explained her plans to start her own detective agency and hoped to get his support and possible partnership in her newest venture. “There you are!” Derrick’s voice rang out as she climbed out of her jeep and started up the drive towards her front door. “I was beginning to hope that you’d given up this silly scheme of yours but I guess that was never a possibility huh?”

“Sorry, Derrick. If I knew any other way trust me I’d explore it. But this right now is my best option for finding someone who may have seen this other vampire. I want to find this man before I leave the department.” He leaned forward to kiss her lips and Victoria turned her head, making him connect with her cheek instead.


“There it is again!” he growled and backed away from her.

“What?”

“You keep pulling away from me. Ever since…” he let the last part of his sentence fade out. “Victoria, you promised me that this Calabrese thing wouldn’t affect our relationship but I gotta tell ya, after this last week I have no idea where we stand. Do you want to be with me?”

“Yeah…”

“‘Yeah?’ Great! That bodes lots of confidence.”

“Derrick, what do you want me to say?”

“You don’t have to say anything when your actions would contradict your words anyway!”


“I’m trying, Derrick. I just need a little. It has nothing to do with what I asked you for. It’s just…I’m not the girl you think I am.”

“And who do I think you are?”

“I don’t know,” she shrugged and hugged herself tightly. “What do you want from me?” 

“You! I mean…do you know what it’s like, Victoria, to care for someone so deeply you’d do anything to be with them? To feel them beside you when you sleep and find them next to you when you wake? You ask me what I want and you know what I want? To be able to tell you how much I care about you whenever I want without worrying if you’ll run away from me.”


“To be able to take your hand without asking for it and walk beside you. To be able to look into your eyes every morning you wake up and be the first person you see to start your day. But you’ve made it so painfully obvious any kind of relationship outside of friends would be your ultimate doom and I can’t be a part of that.” He walked over towards her front door ignoring the look on her face and trying his best not to let the sadness of it affect him. 


Grabbing an object hidden beside the wall, he sighed and started back towards her. “That for me?” she asked noticing the large box in his hands. It was white with red hearts stenciled on the sides and a red bow wrapped around it.

“Of course it is,” Derrick replied handing her the box. “It’s for your birthday.”

“Oh. My birthday isn’t until next week.”

“Yeah well I like to keep you on your toes.”

She shook the box and Derrick quickly cautioned her as she did. “It’s moving, Derrick. Why is this box moving?” The box jumped again and fell from Victoria’s hand. Moving swiftly Derrick caught it before it hit the ground and Victoria looked down at the smirk on his face.


“I’m pretty sure you should open this before your gift expires.”

Kneeling down beside him, Victoria carefully and cautiously pulled at the bow until it unraveled and ripped the paper from the box. Beneath the top, which had air holes for breathing, she found a Doberman puppy. The small dog happily hopped from the box and into her arms, licking her face as she held him. “A puppy? Derrick, you got me a puppy?”

“I uh…”

“When do you think I’ll be home to care for a puppy?”

“I don’t know. You seemed to work things out when you had Vex,” he smirked and chewed on his cheek a little. “I just wanted you to have something to keep you company when I wasn’t around.” 


“Yes, but an actual, living creature that I’ll have to take care of?”

“Can I tell you a secret?” Derrick asked before kneeling beside her, “This puppy is special. He’s pretty good at taking care of himself if need be.”

“Ok. And how is that possible?”

“Think of him in the same way as a cat would normally be a witch’s familiar.” Victoria shot him a confused frown and he smiled with a slight shrug, “Just trust me. What are you gonna name him?”

“Hmm, Hades,” she replied after thinking a moment. Derrick’s smirk turned into a light chuckle and Victoria again looked up at him. “What’s so funny?”

“Well if you knew where this little guy came from, you’d get it.”


“Where did he come from?” Hades again hopped up and Victoria found her face once more slathered in puppy kisses and she couldn’t help but laugh as she walked her new pet into the house. “Shit! I need dog food!” she suddenly realized once placing the puppy down on her floor. “And bowls for dog food! I need a dog bed and a collar and leash and…oh no, is he potty trained? I can’t have him messing around my house! Derrick, you really didn’t think this through did you?”


“Relax, Victoria. I have all of that out near your garage. Hades will be very well taken care of, I promise.” He hurried outside and returned shortly with a large bag of dog food and a box of miscellaneous pet care items. Tossing a chew toy towards the pup, they watched as Hades charged for it and shook it viciously between his teeth.

“Aww that’s so cute!” Victoria fell to her knees to play with the dog. “You are such a cute little fella aren’t you?” Hades snatched the toy from her hand and again lunged for it with his tail up and wagging. “Ow! He bit me! Puppy teeth are sharp! I think he drew blood.”

“Good.”

“What?”

“Nothing. You like him?”

“I love him!”

“That’s a relief. I’m glad to hear that.” Derrick watched as the two became acquainted. Giving himself a mental high five as he watched his plan come to fruition. Victoria showed him more of her vulnerability the night she found herself on his doorstep than she probably realized. She needed someone to share her life with that she wouldn’t push away; Derrick didn’t seem to be it.


Victoria stood and moved slowly towards the vampire standing beside the counter. Extending her arms, she wrapped them around his neck, pulling him close to her body and stroked a hand through his hair. “Thank you for my gift. I’m sorry for however I’ve made you feel this past week. I’ve just been going through a lot of changes and things with you were developing quickly and I just couldn’t deal. But I want to be with you, Derrick, very much. I just hope you can be a little patient with me. I’ve never been any good at this kind of stuff,” she smiled sincerely and felt his hands snake around her waist, drawing tiny circles on the small of her back.


“Patience is irrelevant to a man with nothing but time.” Derrick kissed her, moaning against her mouth as he felt the tenderness of her soft lips against his, they had been missed. Her mouth parted and his tongue quickly swooped in, feeling hers briefly touch his before backing off and he gave chase. Her nails grazed his scalp and he groaned aloud as his cock grew eagerly in his trousers. Tilting his head the other way, he forced Victoria to follow, deepening their kiss as he pressed her firmly against the counter behind her. She squeezed herself tighter towards him, frantically running her hands through his hair as the kiss increased in rhythm and Hades yipped at the two intimately entwined together. “Mmm I could kiss you all day,” Derrick growled against her cheek as Victoria turned her head.


“I can see that, Derrick. But unlike you, one of us gotta breathe.”

“Oh…yeah,” he grinned and lowered his lips to the hollow of her neck. “Well, how about instead, I give your mouth a well deserved break and kiss other parts of your body I love just as much,” he spoke each word between kisses, pushing her shirt to the side as he trailed his lips slowly down her chest. Checking the time on the microwave over Victoria’s shoulder, he reluctantly pulled away, helping her readjust her clothing. “It’ll be dark soon. We should probably head out now before that place gets too packed. Unless of course you’ve changed your mind and would rather finish what we started instead.”

“No chance,” Victoria smirked and headed for the door. “You can drive since you probably would have taken my keys anyway.”


They stood across from the location watching the hum of activity. It seemed fairly busy for a supposedly condemned building. The brick walls were caked in mud and rust and much of them in some parts were crumbling to pieces. Boards covered the broken glass windows and the wooden slats as well as the house were tagged in graffiti. Dead grass and shrubbery grew in patches throughout the surrounding field and tall trees twisted ominously around the edge of the property. “Humans,” Derrick spoke in a low tone to the detective standing beside him as a small group of people entered the building.

“Humans? Why would humans go into a building full of vamp…?” she paused midsentence as the answer to her question formulated for her. “They’re willingly letting them feed; like Dante’s!”


“No it’s not like my club. This is a Jack House. Humans come here to get high and vampires come for the same reason. As a vampire, it’s nearly impossible to get drunk or high because we regenerate too quickly for the symptoms to take effect. But feeding off a human under the influence creates a synthetic high similar to shooting up yourself.”

“Wow. Just when I thought things couldn’t get weirder,” she shook her head and quickly grabbed Derrick’s arm. “What was that?”

“What?” Derrick asked as Victoria stood silently beside the brick wall.


“Rat! Oh my god!” she squealed and jumped into his arms. He quickly gripped her tightly against him as she squirmed, crying about the rodent running through the pitch-black alleyway. “Get it, Derrick! Kill it!” Swinging her onto his back to do as she said, he started towards the squeaking animal and again cringed at the detective shrieking in his ear. “What the hell are you doing? Don’t go closer!”

“Victoria, baby, calm down,” he spoke between laughs as she became more and more agitated. “Are you seriously this freaked out about a little mouse?”

“Little? Didn’t you see that thing! It’s the size of a fucking horse!”


“It’s a rat, Victoria, and it’s gone now. Besides it’s nowhere near as scary as the creatures you’re about to face in that building across the street.” Derrick spoke in a calm and soothing voice as he tried to relax her nerves but he couldn’t help the huge grin her reaction caused him to have. “Hey, are you ok?”

“Yeah,” she sighed as she got to her feet. “I’m good.”

“Alright, I think we should move. When we get in the building, stay by my side, Victoria. If there are too many in there, we get out as quickly as possible. The plus side is they may already be high which could possibly make them sluggish. The downside to that is feeding from a vein gives you strength. They could also be crazy strong and tough to beat. I gotta know you’re ready for this.”


Victoria checked the ammo cartridge of her gun and pulled the slide back to load a bullet into the chamber. “I’m ready.”

“Ok. Be careful.” She nodded her head and Derrick led the way across the street. Overturned trash cans littered the front and side sections of the yard, making the place reek of old, rotting food as they made their approach towards the door. 


Another foul stench rocked Victoria’s nose as they entered. And an odor that could only be described as putrid flesh of a decomposing corpse circulated within the stale air of the entire building. Moldy food cartons and soured by-products of someone’s meals lay tossed in corners with dirty piles of clothing that smelled of rancid onions.

The first hallway they entered was covered in dirty carpet and multiple dark stains plastered the floors and walls which Victoria suspected was blood. Drunk or otherwise incapacitated people were scattered throughout the place, passed out in their own body fluids and fecal waste. Still others lay on dirty mattresses or torn couches with much of their cottony insides ripped through the broken springs.


“Yeah, this is not at all like Dante’s,” Victoria commented as she followed Derrick up the flight of stairs. He remained quiet, focused on using his sense of smell which she could only imagine had to be tough with the innumerable amount of odors contained in just this one section alone.

“He’s here,” he hissed low and stopped in his tracks. Victoria readied her gun for action while Derrick took one step forward. Before he could clear the next flight of stairs, four large, drugged up vampires flew over the railing colliding with him and knocking Victoria back against the wall. Her gun fell from her hands, toppling down the stairs a few feet away from her and she swiftly crawled towards it.


A sharp, burning pain like a thousand hot needles stabbing her flesh rushed through her scalp as she found herself being dragged away by her hair and pulled brutally  down the stairs. “Victoria!” Derrick shouted and bounced his fist against the jaw of one of the snarling vampires wrestling with him. The creature stumbled back but his position was claimed by another in a matter of seconds and Derrick continued defending off their assault. Twisting the arm of one vampire, he snapped it out of the socket and shoved him towards another before throwing a series of dizzying punches to a third.


Victoria shook the cobwebs free and tried to stand as her attacker rushed towards her. His sharp claws were aimed at her throat and the large, pointed fangs on either side of his jaw looked primed for the kill. Thinking quickly, she pulled a bottle from her back pocket and doused the monster with a large dose of holy water. The large man dropped to his knees as smoke began to rise from his hands and face while the chemical seared the flesh from his body. Victoria conjured up a fireball and wasted no time lunging it at the creature. His bloody screams filled the staircase right before he burst into flames, consuming him until all that remained was a smoking stack of ashes.


Derrick kicked one of his attackers in the stomach hard and he fell down the stairs to where Victoria stood. He quickly reached for her gun, tossing it down to her. Victoria fired three rounds into the creature’s heart and watched as he became a ball of fire, burning to ash. Derrick was finally able to get to his feet but he would not be up for long. A large fist found him from the man they both sought. Moving too fast, the entire weight of the blow sent him flying over the railing but not before his friend plunged a seven inch stake into his chest.


Splinters of wood pierced through his sternum and he growled as the pain shot through his body. Victoria touched her heart and promptly turned in his direction. “No!” she yelled and started up the stairs only to be confronted by the remaining two vampires. The larger of the two, kicked at her, fiercely connecting with her hand and again knocking her gun from her grip. With Derrick incapacitated and presumably dying, Victoria had to think quickly to get them both safely out of this place.


The ringing in Derrick’s ears was more pronounced than he could fully realize and his vision blurred more and more. He felt himself falling backwards, slipping down the flight of stairs until he reached the second floor platform. Immobilized and fading fast, he watched in horror as Victoria continued fighting off the vampires who had attacked them. Dodging the assault, Victoria whispered a few words under her breath and gained speed to match her opponents. 


Moving like the wind of a punch that clipped her cheek, she swung around the body of the first vampire, gripped his head tightly within her hands and twisted his neck until she heard his spine snap. The remaining creature hissed at her and lunged forward. Victoria threw herself down the stairs towards her weapon. Quickly as the man charged down the stairs at her, she turned on her heels and emptied her clip into his chest. And just like the one before, the blessed, wooden bullets seared holes into his flesh until he became a bright blaze of flames, leaving behind scorch marks and a pile of soot. She moved to Derrick’s side and pulled him against her, shaking him a little to get his attention.


He looked up at her, still dazed and unaware of what was happening. “Drink, Derrick. Can you hear me?” Her voice sounded as though she was standing underwater and he stared at her as he tried to make sense of what she was saying. Derrick felt something roughly rip out of his chest and intense, sharp daggers stabbed every nerve inside him. Checking the wound, she sighed in relief seeing only the tip of the wooden stake had pierced the skin and not enough to puncture his heart.


“You gotta drink!” Victoria replied once more and pulled him into her lap. Slitting her wrist against the pointy end of his fang, she winced at the sting of the venom as it burned over her skin, seeping into the opened wound. She watched as a small light came on behind his eyes when the first drop of blood touched his tongue. Before she knew it, Derrick had her arm trapped between his teeth as he suckled from her vein like a newborn babe. 


Bright red color infused his eyes as her blood trickled from his lips the hungrier he lapped at her exposed artery. Images began invading his mind the longer he remained connected to the source and he found himself drowning in Victoria’s essence; never wanting to let go. He forced his fangs sharply and swiftly beneath her skin a second time and Victoria’s body jerked as her muscles tensed. She screamed as his teeth gripped tighter and the venom burned through her bloodstream.

Pain flashed from her arm through every nerve like molten lava scorching her insides. Her heartbeat throbbed beneath his lips; a frantic, rhythmic beat that sang to his bloodlust. Temptation overrode each of his disciplines as he fought to sate the ferocious hunger that burned white hot and intense, blazing through his veins like a firestorm. The pain of the bite gave way to erotic ecstasy and Victoria moaned softly.


Derrick reacted with savage aggression, feeling a yearning deep down to his groin and his cock stirred in his jeans. The beat of her heart called to him and he could no longer deny himself the pleasure as the dull ache of his need turned viciously painful. Pulling to his knees, he swiftly circled around her and sank his teeth into her neck. Victoria screamed again but Derrick was far beyond caring. She was delectable; her sweet and spicy taste filled his senses and he indulged himself. Derrick made deep, primitive growls as he devoured her, licking and sucking frantically. A weakened moan passed through her lips and Derrick felt Victoria fading against him. 


He quickly pulled away just as she passed out and he drew her from the floor, looking over her face as her heartbeat fluttered erratically. “No, no, no what have I done? Victoria? Oh no, no, no, no.” He collected her lifeless body against his chest and rushed down the stairs and out the door. “Victoria! Victoria, fight damn it! Fuck! I’m gonna get us out of here just hold on!” 


Moving as swiftly as his legs would allow, he got them to Victoria’s jeep and laid her down in the back before climbing behind the wheel and peeling out of the alleyway. Barreling over boxes and stacked crates, he rushed through the streets, racing towards the freeway and the only person he knew who could help her. “Stay with me, Victoria, I’ll get you to Loretta’s. Just keep breathing dammit! Victoria? Victoria!” Derrick shouted as he listened to her breaths draw more and more ragged. He found the switch for the sirens and watched as the traffic parted for him, racing towards Danbury and his only hope for Victoria’s survival. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Author’s note: Arrest image on the news courtesy of PlaywithBalzEnglish’s (you read that right) YouTube channel. And yes, let’s pretend you don’t see the cop has Fairy wings :) And no, you’re right, that’s not “Tommy” per se. But...let’s call him a stand in, shall we? What? I got lazy! You see the number of shots in this thing? Can you imagine the set up to take them? Gawd! Cut a gal a break :P*

Continue---->

16 comments:

  1. Wow, I really hope she'll be ok after taking a huge risk in going there and then having to fight them off. She cares more for Derrick than she shows and I hope her allowing him to feed himself to a frenzy is not at the expense of her life. Since she's a witch not sure how that will react with the Vampire Venom...can't wait to see the nxt chapter. Glad Tommy is in custody ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! They both risked a great deal going into that building. Derrick knew it would be no cake walk but Victoria was determined to storm the walls regardless. Things weren't going well from the start but they were holding their own for a bit.

      Victoria's afraid of showing her vulnerability because she believes it's a weakness. She's always been sort of bad at relationships but Derrick knows that and is willingly to be patient for her. The feeding may have gone terribly wrong though. Derrick has not fed from a human vein in forever. And now he's reverted back to that primitive side of the monster within. Bad news all around.

      The danger is not over yet for her, that's for sure. What Derrick has done in this chapter will have far reaching consequences, still to come :(

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  2. Barney Fife on Red Bull -- oh, I had fun envisioning that! OK, so I kinda figured Victoria was going to quit the force, but I hadn't figured on her starting her own agency or coming clean with Mike about being a witch.

    Vik looks like she's in a world of hurt now, but we know Derrick didn't mean it. This has to be his worse nightmare. Let's hope Loretta cuts him some slack. Vik has to be OK, of course. Maybe seeing how quickly either of them can be taken away from each other will pull Vik and Derrick closer together. Vik seems to need a push. Watching Derrick lying there with a stake in his heart should do it. I actually said, "No!" out loud when I saw it happen. Life's too short, Vik!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I don't think I would want a partner who seemed content on getting us both killed. Cordova was completely inept and that kind of incompetence is scary!

      Victoria wants Mike to come work with her, but she knows that might be risky considering the stuff she gets into. That supernatural stuff would have been difficult to hide for long with him working as her second at her own agency. It's the driving factor in her spilling the beans!

      Derrick was a man possessed when he tasted her. It made matters worse that he had not drank directly from a vein in so long, but for it being Victoria, someone he cares for, yeah there was no stopping that. They are connected on too deep a level :( It is definitely his worst nightmare. He doesn't want to lose her, especially over something he did. He never wanted to see her hurt. The guilt must be killing him.

      Yeesh, Loretta, yeah. It's possible she's losing the only grandchild who bothered to look her up, Derrick better duck and cover! Although they are friends and she's shown she can be compassionate and understanding. She may be able to offer him a shoulder to cry on as well. She has a bit of a hump to get over first.

      You're right about that! This is the kind of thing that shows a person just how much they are needed and loved. Hopefully Victoria can take this as a sign and try and be a lot more open with Derrick about her feelings.

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  3. so...Vic has quit her job. I guess when you 'cheated' to get results it puts things in perspective. I know she only wanted to help Mike, but her 'I'm a cop' mantra became a bit hypocritical. I do understand with the supernatural stuff she needs to not have so many 'rules' to follow, but still I think her main reason for leaving was how she got The Breeze to confess.

    Speaking of that...I am trying, really trying not to just have my simself jump in this story and tell Derrick how very much he is appreciated since Vic can't seem to get her shit together! She has done nothing but give that man a hard time and I know he likes to mess with her, but it's more a defense mechanism I think. She asked him to do this, and then pushed him away. Or tried to. He gave a very panty dropping declaration of love, without saying the words and she didn't respond! WTF was that. Yeah yeah yeah...she did later, but still to say nothing when that man basically told you he loves you and would do anything for you. UGH just UGH

    Now after all that...he gets stabbed in the fucking heart because of her!!! Yes this is me blaming Vic because she was so fucking hell bent on going in there because **insert nasally sarcastic voice** "I'm a cop Derrick". She reminds me of a hardheaded smart ass know it all teenager sometimes! I swear. Derrick knows what the fuck he's talking about since he's live this world for centuries and you've only had a few months but you want to ignore all that because "I'm a cop" and go charging in to a situation you don't fully understand and look what the fuck happened. So pissed right now!!! So pissed.

    AND....AND do you know what will be worse. Now guess who will have all the guilt...her? Nope, it will be Derrick. He will be sad, and worried, and fucking guilty as hell because he couldn't stop when he started drinking from her. He'll be upset he let her talk him into going. He'll be upset he lead her into a situation he knew was dangerous. And he'll be upset that he almost killed her since he was getting a high off drinking from her. UGH...I just know it. I feel it in my bones that it will go down that way because as much as he's an ass, he's a sensitive ass. UGH!!!!!

    yes I know you will say that I'm just team Derrick LOL :P but still...

    either way, enjoyed the chapter :) and guess we will let you off with being lazy on the news shots, but just don't let it happen again. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! Um... *grabs a comfortable pillow for tush and an overnight bag*

      *Cracks knuckles* Let's do this!

      Yep! It is very true that she no longer feels like one of the good guys after playing dirty to get her man. But she will make up for that for as long as she needs to! Now she's going to spread her wings. Victoria feels ready to do this on her own (so to speak). With Derrick's help, they will take on not only human cases but the Supernatural ones that the department are unequipped to handle!

      HAHAHA Huh? You're just gonna pop on in there and take Derrick? LOL! Make him understand how much she cares? I think Derrick knows and while he says he doesn't need her to say it, we all know the truth. It feels SO much better hearing someone you love say it back. In time I think Victoria will come to love and appreciate what she has with Derrick. Hopefully this little incident is the eye opener she needs for just that!

      You're right about Derrick's defense mechanism. He's so used to cynics and assholes that he's worked up a sort of sarcastic attitude towards them. He likes to put up a tough guy exterior but he has the same feelings as others when it comes to matters of the heart. But you can't put all of that on Victoria. If Derrick throws a punch first, why should she become a battered woman and not react? If he can dish it, he should be able to take it!

      LOL! Panty dropping you say? O.o Victoria didn't respond right away as she was processing. But she did express her gratitude and her remorse for the way she treated him. She asked for time to get used to her changing feelings and Derrick responded in kind.

      Stabbed because of her. Hmm...yes. See she was going to go in there without him. Had he not come he would not have been stabbed. We can play blame game Mica, yes, we can do this :P But ok, yes. There was no way Derrick was going to let her go alone, so Vik is partly to blame.

      Ok sidebar, I heard that nasally sarcasm in my head and I'm LMAO right now.

      Anyway, Vik is very stubborn, something she's always been and that's a trait that's hard to break when you are used to doing things your way. She'll learn the importance of input, no worries :)

      You're right about one thing, Derrick will feel guilty. Regardless of what Vik says about going in there and the role she played in the events that occurred, he will have those feelings of guilt. He nearly killed her and that's something he'll have to live with. Not only that, the ramifications of his actions will stick with him for a while. Kicking the feeding habit was bad the first time...it'll be even harder now. I won't even TOUCH that "sensitive ass" comment. Just lol.

      And yes you are very Team Derrick and you know it!

      I will *try* and not let this happen again. But who's to say it hasn't happened before O.o

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  4. Why is there a -penis- on Derrick's chest.... oh, wait... it's suppose to be a stake.
    Never mind then, I'll read on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um...what? O.o

      Ok yeah I know it's weird looking (which is why I didn't include it in some shots). It would have been MUCH easier if I had one in game. /sigh

      Delete
    2. Haha, just messin' with you!

      I did go... what the heck is that?... at that part, but just because I watched the pictures first, then I read the words. I think it's the rounded part at the bottom of that stake that made my mind go ~swirly~

      Now the chapter...

      It all started fine with Vic quitting, Mike reacting to her bitchiness, I mean witchiness, and then enter Derrick and I got PISSED!!
      It's not like he freaking said I LOVE YOU, even if when you sum it up that's exactly what that was. "I care about you too" how freaking hard is that? You can't even reciprocate "care" feelings. He is acting like the man-who-has-feelings/boyfriend that he is and ven got you an early b-day present.

      The puppy and incl accessories made me fume even more. And then they walk into a den when Derrick told her it wasn't wise. How the heck do you not listen to a 1000 (<--- LOL) year old vampire about VAMPIRES when cleaaaaaarly he would know everything about them.

      And perfect! She got him -penis-staked on top of everything!
      What? Don't tell me to calm down! Who the heck do you think you are? *takes off earrings*

      Delete
    3. LOL I went to look when I read that and saw what you saw. I was lazy though (didn't even add blood to the shirt).

      Say what? Pissed? I'm not sure what you mean, my Dear! Why on earth would you get mad about...oh...yeah...that...

      Yeah the L word hadn't slipped from his mouth but that is exactly what he said. I think Victoria was a bit shell shocked and probably still is. Derrick is turning everything she believed on its ear and she hasn't had time yet to catch her breath. He knows her better than she knows herself and he knew that the request of Calabrese would make her pull away. That's why he had his reservations about doing it. But she promised him that wouldn't be the case and then look at what happened.

      But she did apologize and she was sincere when she said that. She does care for Derrick too. And she wants to be able to get to the point of saying that to him as well. But she's had her heartbroken too many times to be the first to say those words and she's scared of what will happen when she does.

      That was a very sweet birthday gift. Even if he completely zoomed over where it came from and why he liked the fact that it bit her!

      That nest of vampires was bad decision #4? 5? I lost track. It might have been wiser to listen to a vampire about vampires considering he's an expert in the field. But Victoria wanted to do one last thing before she left her position with the APD. She already had Calabrese in custody. The serial killer was her last case. :( things just didn't go as planned.

      HAHA penis-staked! LOL

      Whoa, whoa, no, no, leave the earrings on and put down the vaseline! This shouldn't come to blows, we can come to some understanding. LOOK! Naked Derrick! *runs away cackling maniacally*

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  5. I rather suspected that Victoria would leave her job. Knowing that she had an inept partner who was on the force as a family favour only strengthens her reason to leave. Can't imagine having a partner like that when it's a life and death situation. Although Jazen has a very good point for her to leave as well, that she didn't play by the rules.

    A baby hellhound. hahahahah! I love Derrick. Has to be a rottweiler ;)

    Bad bad bad scene in that old warehouse place. What was she thinking? My heart was racing when I saw that wood in Derrick's chest... that's all Victoria needs is to think more harm is on her hands... but then the turn-around... If they can't make it to Danbury, he has to turn her, then she will hate him and it will be a huge mess. Uh oh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victoria is hoping that her new excursion works out for her. Though she'll be in for quite the fun surprises :D That partner DEFINITELY added more fuel to her fire though. It's a shame, now he'll be someone else's problem! Vik feels awful though about the way she finally brought down the mob. But she's happy at least that Mike gets some relief and some feeling of justice before they go.

      Lol! Derrick should have elaborated on that a bit for poor Vik. She'll probably have a coronary when she finds out!

      Vik and Derrick had their work cut out for them inside that building. A nest of unknown numbers was a bad start first of all. But I guess it's a good thing that more didn't come down to help! Derrick really got the bad end of the stick (pun intended). He tried to convince Vik this was a bad idea and it ended up landing them both in hot water! Hopefully he makes it to Loretta in time. Turning her would be the worst option but he'd at least save her. Vik should have listened. She was really trying to tie up loose ends and this one just sorta unraveled at the seams :(

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  6. The whole thing brilliant, and that goes for the other chapters I've just caught up on as well. FOr some reason I can;t comment of late so I hope this comes though 'cause... YAY :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivory! I'm glad you're enjoying the story!

      I'm sorry you're having trouble commenting. Not sure what's happening with that :( but you came through loud and clear!

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  7. Derrick..what did you do? I hope they can get to Loretta's in time. Hades is a cute little puppy. I am interested in how he's so special though lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! Major badness has occurred! Victoria just opened Pandora's proverbial box and has no idea what she's just released in Derrick. Hopefully he is able to get to Loretta before things become REALLY sticky!

      LOL! That's something Vik is gonna be a little peeved to know as well :)

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete