Sunday, April 21, 2024

73: Trip to the Dentist – Pt. 1


“Lunch time, Partner. And please, tell me you’re going to suggest something OTHER than sushi this time,” Victoria said, dropping a stack of papers onto Mike’s desk. He didn’t look up as she spoke and she waved a hand in front of his face to try and get his attention. “Mike? Yo, Mike? Mikey? MICHAEL SEAN RIZZITELLO!”

“Hmm? What?” Mike shook his head and sighed. “I’m sorry, Vik. I was a little distracted.”

“A little? You completely missed the tiny, green alien running across your keyboard singing Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star!”

“I know. Wait, what?”

“Nothing,” Victoria laughed. “What’s going on?”

“Tina is in town for a visit and I’m super excited to spend some time with her. I’ve been looking up stuff we can do together while she’s here.”

“That’s great, Mikey! How is she?”

“She is doing wonderfully. She’s about to be a teenager and just lost her last baby tooth. Now she keeps telling me she’s no longer a child and that I should ‘respect her womanhood,’” he smiled. “It’s something she learned from this new pack of friends she’s made in Spring Glen.”


“Ohh. 13? Good luck. I heard teen girls can be real pains in the ass; sassy, little know-it-alls.”

“You heard that huh?” he asked with just enough of a smirk to be annoying.

“Whatever! I was and still am an Angel.”

“Angel? And here I thought you were a witch.”

“HA! Keep it up, Michael. Karma has a way of catching up to people. You just remember that.” He put his hands up in faux surrender and smiled. “Alright well, I guess these can wait for later. Go enjoy your time with Tina.”

“Actually, she has a dental appointment so she’s not getting in until later. In the meantime.” Holding up a manila folder labeled ‘weird stuff’ Mike’s face turned up into a smile. 

“What’s that?”

“Stuff I saved and catalogued from my days with the department. These are the things I’ve always felt were a little bit hinky. Wanna check it out now?”

“So, in your down time from paying cases you want to investigate your cold case files from PD?”


“Yeah. How else am I supposed to relax?” he asked with a teasing grin. Victoria smiled back before her face became serious once more.

“Are you sure you really want to? I mean, with the whole zombies’ thing, you said you wished you were still blissfully ignorant. Maybe you shouldn’t go poking the bear?”

“Well yeah, I know but…Vik,” he started, standing up from his chair to level his gaze with hers. “When I said that I was scared. I—I don’t know. Listen, as much as I say I hate it, and as much shit as I give you about it, I actually can’t help but respect the hell out of it; especially people like you and Derrick. I mean hell if it didn’t exist, if there was no otherworldly…stuff, I wouldn’t be walking today. You did that. Even though you won’t admit it, I know you made this happen with your book of spells or magic wand or however you do what you do and I could never fully express how grateful I am because of it.”

Victoria smiled and bowed her head. “You know, Mike. Eight years ago, when we were first paired up, I thought you absolutely DESPISED me. But I honestly believe you were the best thing that’s ever happened to me. I could never have asked for a better partner or friend.”

“Stop it, Vik. The work day just started. You’re gonna make me tear up!”

“I’m serious. I love and respect you more than I could ever say.”


“You know the feeling is mutual, right? And yeah, I know I was a bit of a chooch when Cappy first partnered us, but that was more about me and not because we were paired up. I was expecting the promotion to Detective First Class, but that didn’t happen until a year after we were together.”

“So, what you’re saying is I made you better and you never would have gotten that promotion without me?” Victoria grinned widely prompting a light chuckle from Mike.

“Yeah, yeah, that’s what I’m saying, alright? Stop busting my balls, will ya?”

“In that case, you’re welcome,” she laughed. “Seriously though, I think we made each other better.”

“Alright, alright, enough of this mushy stuff. Let’s get weird.”

“Right. ‘Weird stuff’ let’s see what you got.”


Walking the folder over to the investigative board, Mike laid out the various files and projects he’d been setting aside for later. “This one in particular is one I really wanted to work on, hence why it’s on top. It’s a locked room mystery,” he said, a large smile on his face. “It seemed really up your alley. A couple is believed to have been in a domestic dispute. Both claiming the other was sending threats. After a while, they come to the conclusion their home is haunted and neither one of them has been leaving the threatening notes for the other. After numerous calls to police and many reports later, they’re both found dead, seated in the library, posed as though still alive. All entry points were secured. Police had to use a battering ram to get inside.”

“Why did police show up the last time?”

“Get this, a call was made from inside the house at 11:48 P.M. and a male voice could be heard begging for help. M.E. puts time of death no later than 10.”


“Wow. And this is still unsolved?”

“No evidence, no suspects and ruled suspicious circs, not murder-suicide.”

“Any particular reason you think this is supernatural versus there being a burglar hidden in the crawlspace?”

Moving over to his desk, Mike pulled out a thumb drive from his top drawer and stuck it into his computer. “Have a listen.”

Static snapped for the first few moments of the audio file before a 911 operator’s voice came on the line. “9-1-1, where’s your emergency?

A few more moments passed before the operator attempted her greeting again. Seconds later, an address was given by an unidentified male voice. “They’re dead…” his smoky, almost ethereal sounding tone cracked over the line. “I need help. Send the police. Please. They’re dead.

Sir, may I have your name?” said the operator, “Who’s dead? Can you tell me what happened?” Without another word, the male on the other end disconnected the call.


“Any ID on the caller.”

“Yes. And here’s where the story takes a turn. The analysts combed through the audio over and again to verify. The caller is the couple’s only son, George Sinclair.”

“There we go! Not a mystery!”

“Well, yeah,” Mike sighed, opening another folder for her to read. “Except he died six years earlier.”

“Oooh,” Victoria gasped. “Well now that changes everything.”

“Yes, exactly! Now, I know supernaturals have ranged from banshees and demons to vampires and witches but,” Mike swallowed hard preparing himself before he asked, “Are ghosts real?”

“They are indeed. In fact, I’ve seen quite a few of them. The first time was super unsettling. It was at—,” she paused, realizing when she’d seen her first ghost. “It…it just wasn’t a good experience.”

“Wait, what was that? What’s wrong?”


“I—uh,” Victoria stammered before sighing deeply. “The first time I saw a ghost was at the graveyard…during your brother’s funeral.”

“Benny? Wait a second, are you telling me you saw my brother’s ghost at his funeral?”

“No, no!” Victoria quickly corrected. “I saw a ghost, not his ghost. And actually, it was a few ghosts. They were kinda just…hanging around.”

“Oh.” He responded dejectedly.

“My next experience was much worse though. It was at Derrick’s house. FYI, his house has a history of death. This ghost, I could still see how he died and it was not pretty.”

“Yikes.” Gathering up the contents of the folder, Mike put everything back into a pile and headed to his desk. “So, Partner, where should we start?”

“Well, we can pay a visit to the crime scene. See if my sixth sense trips and I can spot a ghost or two.”


“Sounds like a plan. Lunch first? I’m thinking…sushi?”

“Mike?!”

“Yeah, Vik?”

“Nevermind,” she sighed and grabbed her purse.

“Oh hey, are those real, by the way?”

“Are what real?”

“Tiny, green aliens that sing Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star!”

“You jerk! You heard me the whole time?!”

“I’m a detective, Vik. Very little gets passed me. Now, let’s eat!”

They had lunch at the restaurant next door and headed over to the Sinclair estate to start their investigation which, unfortunately, was short-lived. Finding the place completely sealed up, they decided to call it a day and try in the morning. Victoria headed home, ready to wash away the day while Mike took off to shop and prepare for his niece’s arrival.


“Hey, handsome,” Victoria said, tucking a hand into Derrick’s hair and gently massaging his scalp.

“Mmm, that feels nice, but are you talking about me or the dog?” he joked, taking her hand and placing a small kiss in her palm. “You smell great.”

“Really? You can say that to me after a long work day?”

“Yes. I can also say you look very beautiful.”

“OK, now I know you’re lying,” she huffed and dropped onto the couch beside him.

“Rough day?”

“You don’t know the half of it. Right now, all I want to do is tuck myself into your arms and sleep for a week.”

“Oh, that can definitely be arranged. Just say the word,” Derrick leaned down and gave Victoria a loving peck on the lips. “Do you have an idea for dinner?”


“Come here you wonderful man!” Gripping his head on both sides, Victoria gently pressed their lips together until her tongue touched his. A growl came from the back of his throat as Derrick responded almost immediately. One hand slid down her hips and he pulled her closer until she could feel the girth of his member pressing against her. His mouth moved with more urgency as he planted frantic kisses on her lips, making Victoria moan.

His touch made her knees weak and her body turn to mush and she was instantly gathered into the hard urgency of his embrace as he closed his arms around her waist. Desire crawled through her in hot tendrils that cozied themselves in deep, private places, making her quiver at the stroke of his tongue.

She pulled back with a smile and Derrick gently caressed her cheek as he held her gaze. “What was that for? Not that I’m complaining.”

“It’s just that I appreciate you asking rather than wanting to repeat the same, tired meal every day.”

“Ah. Lemme guess, you had sushi for lunch again?”

“I swear that man is going to turn into a fish!” Derrick laughed and nuzzled their noses together.

“So, what’ll it be?”

“I’m thinking Italian.”

“And your wish is my command,” he said, stealing another kiss. “I’ll be back soon.”

“And I’ll be waiting.”


After starting the oven timer on his Baked Ziti, Mike settled in on his couch, turning on The Departed as he waited. He had just kicked back and tuned in when his doorbell rang. “Just a minute!” he called out, pushing pause on the remote. He hadn’t made it three steps before the chime started again and again. “I said I’m coming!” he shouted louder to the impatient visitor on his front stoop.


Angrily swinging the door open, he was prepared to have a word with the nuisance ringer until he took in her appearance. Looking at the confusion on the elderly woman’s face, he thought at first, she’d had the wrong house and he instantly felt his anger dissipate. But the first words out of her mouth froze him in place. “Uncle Mike! I need your help.”

“Tina?!”

Continue---->

No comments:

Post a Comment