Sunday, May 12, 2024

75: Trip to the Dentist – Pt. 3


“I thought imps were lesser demons; like sidekicks with no real powers,” Victoria said, once they’d made it back to her home.

“Traditionally, they are,” Derrick started. “This—Henry must have found a way to overcome that. It’s rare but not entirely unheard of.”

“Our main focus right now is locating his vessel. If we can find that, we can reverse whatever magics he’s cast,” Loretta said.

“And how difficult will that be?” Mike asked, glancing at his rapidly aging niece. “I mean, if we don’t find this thing in time…”

“Don’t think like that. Not right now, Mike,” Victoria warned. “We won’t stop until we save Tina. Did you find anything on the Nexus about him?”


“No. He’s clean. Almost as if he didn’t exist until six years ago which makes sense considering he’s a hobgoblin.”

“Imp,” Derrick corrected, “Trust me, they vastly differ from hobgoblins.” He shook his head as if trying to erase a memory.

“Ok, I took a piece of Nova’s hair. I’m going to try a few spells and see if I can trace anything through her and maybe come up with a location of solution to the aging problem,” Loretta said, moving toward the kitchen.

Retrieving her phone, Victoria looked through the pictures of the runes she’d taken from Nova’s body. “Sounds good, while you’re doing that, I’m gonna see if I can translate these runes. I swear I’ve seen some of these before.”

“And what do I do in the meantime?” Mike asked.


“Try and remain calm. We have this well in hand and are going to work hard and quickly to get some results,” Loretta replied as she disappeared around a corner.

“What Nana said,” Victoria shrugged.

Mike took a seat beside his snoring niece on the couch while Victoria grabbed one of the books from her coffee table and got to work. Dropping to the floor beside her, Derrick gave her a hand, peering over her shoulder at the pictures as he too began researching rune work.

Mike sighed as he watched everyone hard at work, trying to get answers to their latest supernatural problem and shook his head. How long had he been in the dark about all of this stuff. And to see it affect his family, it put a whole new perspective on the world for him. It was bad enough it was happening around him in Avondale, but to reach all the way to Spring Glen. “I think I may be cursed,” he said aloud, inviting Victoria’s curious gaze. “I mean, how else do you explain all of these things happening to me? First Benny, then my legs and now my niece. How can one man have so much bad luck?”


“I don’t think it has anything to do with luck, good or bad, Mikey. It’s just life. You can’t lump every bad thing that’s happened to you over a decade and attribute it to just one source,” Victoria said, feeling a sense of sorrow for her friend and partner. “I mean, think about all the stuff we’ve seen, done and gone through while on the job. Life is just a series of experiences. Some good, some bad but all important. We’ll get through this like we get through everything.”

His mouth turned in a thin smile and he nodded. Looking down at the book in her lap, he motioned with his head, “Who’s that guy?”

Victoria’s eyes returned to the page in front of her and she traced the lines of the figure with her index and sighed. “His name is Fane Dragonos. I’m fairly certain he’s my dream demon. The thing that gets me though, is everything seems to come back around to him and memories I can no longer access.”

“What do you mean?” 


“When I was younger, my mom erased my memories and all knowledge of magic. She did it because apparently Fane would visit me in my dreams and manifest in scary, dangerous outbursts of magic. I was hurting myself and my family and it was becoming too much so she bound my magic and erased all traces of it. Lately, whenever we have a supernatural case or something of the otherworldly happens, I feel—I don’t know drawn to Fane; like the answer is somehow with him.”

“What’s he telling you now?”

“The runes.”

With that, Derrick looked over and noticed the detailing on the dragon’s scales and gasped. “That’s where you’ve seen them before?” He took possession of the book and examined the markings closer. “Victoria, I think you’re right.”

“Yeah but, I just don’t know what it means. Why is an imp drawing these on a witch? And how is he connected to Fane and/or me?”


“Well, there’s someone here who could possibly shed some light on this,” Derrick suggested.

Right on cue, Loretta exited the kitchen. “No luck,” she announced sorrowfully. “Did you find anything, Victoria?”

Victoria exchanged a look with Derrick before taking hold of the book once more and approaching her grandmother. “I have actually. The runes,” Victoria said. “I was able to translate a few of them. I don’t know what she believed they were, but they are actually a binding spell. Henry has basically taken possession of her living soul while also locking her inside her body so she cannot escape.”

“Wait…wait, a second,” Derrick said, processing Victoria’s words. “Nova IS the vessel. Think about it. He has her locked away where she cannot escape, incapable of calling for help, bound to him and in a place easily accessible to him when needed and without the ability to leave her body.”


“Oh my God,” Loretta gasped. “I think you may be right.”

“Well, that’s great news!” Mike said. “If she is the vessel, all we have to do is figure out a way to make it whatever container again and stick that creepy ass dentist back inside.”

“It’s not that easy,” Victoria said, “The runes have trapped Nova. That is irreversible. At best, we can place Henry inside of Nova, but she’ll then be a host to a devious imp. We could never separate them again. It’s essentially trading one life for another.”

“But we’d be stopping a literal demon from Hell from hurting more innocent people,” Mike argued.

“Yes, but at the cost of Nova’s life,” Loretta repeated. “I can’t do that to my friend.”

“Then what do you suggest? Because as best as I can see, my niece is the innocent one in all of this. She didn’t ask for your friend’s soul sucking demon to leach out her life force for a brighter smile!”

“Mike, please, try and remain level headed about this. We all want the same things,” Victoria said, placing a calming hand on her friend’s shoulder. 


“Are you sure about that, Vik? Because it certainly doesn’t feel that way,” he replied, looking over in Loretta’s direction. “Vik, may I have a word with you?” Mike asked, motioning for his partner to follow.

“Hey, Mike, what’s up.”

“Listen, I don’t know what happened in that basement. And I’m sorry for what you found. But I have to know what are the chances of reversing this spell and saving Tina?”

“I’m gonna be honest with you, I’m not sure, Mike. If we try and remove the runes to reconstitute the Imp’s jar, it could very well destroy it or even kill Nova in the process. And can we honestly be ok with trapping an imp inside her body for the rest of her life?”

“YES!” Mike replied emphatically. “I’m sorry, Vik, I really am. But let’s face facts. We may not be able to save them both and if it comes down to that, promise me you will save Tina at all costs,” Mike said.

“Mike…”

“Please. I can’t lose her. She’s all I have left of Benny.”


Victoria’s eyes lit up and she grabbed Mike’s arm, “Come with me.” Dragging him back to the living room, she pulled open the book of Fane and headed over to Loretta. “I think I’ve figured out a way we can do both; save Tina and Nova,” Victoria replied, showing her grandmother the entry in the book she had been reading.

Loretta read silently, her eyes widening in horror as she reached the final paragraph. “No, Victoria. Absolutely not!”

“And why not? I have the capabilities; you and I both know that. If this works…”

“That’s a big if.”

“But if it does, we can save Tina and Nova AND send that imp back into the depths of Hell where he belongs.”

“You don’t know what you’re asking for, Victoria. What this will do. It’s not something any one in our family has ever done before and for good reason.”


“The only reason I can figure is because I’m the only one that has ever possessed the ability, Nana,” she said, staring her grandmother in the eyes. “Tell me I’m wrong.” Loretta sighed and shook her head. “Then you have no basis for believing this won’t work. It’s just a fear of the unknown.”

“Still, Victoria, why risk it?”

“Because what are our alternatives? You lose your friend or Mike loses his niece or we lose them both and losing is NOT an option for me, Loretta. Not now, not ever. So, you’re either with me or you’re not, but decide now because I am gathering what I need to get started.”

Again, Loretta sighed and nodded her head. “Look, Nana, if this is because you don’t want me to know more about Fane or because of that big secret you still won’t tell me when you disappeared the last time I mentioned dragons, then don’t you think it may be time to come clean?”

“Vik, what’s going on?” Mike asked.


Placing the book on the table, Victoria turned to acknowledge both Mike and Derrick. “You know my mom and Grams and I are all witches. What you don’t know is our blood all have unique abilities. Grams’ can supercharge supernaturals and my mom has self-healing traits. What Nana and I are discussing are the properties of my blood in particular. I can do both of theirs plus one special one of my own: rewrite history or change destinies.”

“You’re telling me your blood has the power to change the past?”

“Yes. I can change the course of events like it never happened. It’s different than a memory spell where it’s just reordering ones’ recollection. In this method, it makes it so it actually never happened at all. And since Nova’s destiny is bound to the imp’s I think, if I were to draw the same runes she has on myself in my blood, I can change her destiny and trap the imp back in his mystical prison.”

“What are the consequences—to you, I mean?” Mike asked, following along with Victoria’s idea.


“That’s where things become a little shaded. We don’t know. I’m the first Coleman witch with this ability. There are no documented instances of what happens when blood is used in this manner.” Victoria could see the concern in Derrick’s eyes and knew he’d have his own objections.

Surprisingly, he took her hand in silent comfort and gave it a squeeze. “What do you need me to do?”

She gripped the necklace; the vial of his blood around her neck and smiled. “You’ve already done it, Derrick. If things don’t go how I’m hoping they will…I’ll need a guide for what comes next.”

Derrick nodded and gently kissed the back of her hand. “You know I’m by your side every step.”

“Wait, what? What does that mean?” Mike asked, noticing the couple’s exchange. 


“It means she may die and if that happens, she’s going to turn herself into a night demon…like him,” Loretta answered.

“Ouch, Loretta, ‘night demon?’ And here I thought we were friends,” Derrick said with a wry smile.

“I don’t like this. Not one bit. And I hate that you’re encouraging it,” she countered.

“Loretta, there are two things I’ve learned about Victoria. The first, she can be pretty headstrong. If you tell her no, she’ll do it anyway and without anyone there to help her. So, to cut to the chase. I say yes as long as I can be there if things go sideways. The other: Victoria has grown into a very strong and super badass witch…”


“I can vouch for that,” Mike inserted.

“She can handle what she says she can…even the unknown,” Derrick finished.

“Thank you, Derrick. That’s a ringing endorsement,” Victoria smiled and leaned into his arms.

“Is it breakfast yet?” Tina said, stirring from her sound slumber.

“Not yet, Sweetheart,” Mike said, taking a seat beside his niece again. “But, I can make something for you if you’re hungry.”

“I’d like that, Uncle. Thank you.”

His pleading eyes met Victoria’s and she nodded. “Let’s get started.”


Mike headed into the kitchen to make his niece something to eat. And while Loretta prepared the spells needed for the ritual, Derrick took Victoria to the bedroom and assisted with collecting her blood for the runes. “Tempting?” she asked, as he began painting the markings along her arm and shoulders.

“It is,” he hummed, focusing himself to maintain control. “The scent of you is always very enticing, Victoria.”

“Well, there’s always the cleanup,” she joked, he said nothing but continued diligently painting her body. Victoria gathered his hand, stopping his writing motion and held his gaze. “I really appreciate you helping with this, Derrick.”

“Of course, Victoria. Mike is family. If we can’t sacrifice for those we love, who do you sacrifice for?”


Once all of the runes were drawn, she sat up on the edge of the bed and waited for the blood to dry. “Nervous?” Derrick asked, seeing the look on her face.

“I am but not for me. I just really hope this works. It’s an untested theory and our only shot at saving both Tina and Nova. If this doesn’t work…” she paused and took a deep breath. “I can’t let Mike lose another family member. I can’t watch him go through that again.”

“I know and I’m ready to do what’s necessary to help with that too, Victoria.”

“You knew?”

“That you’ll sacrifice Nova for Tina if the plan fails? Of course I did,” he said, pointing toward his chest. “I always know where your heart is. No matter what, Tina survives the night.”

“We’re ready to go,” Loretta said, knocking on Victoria’s bedroom door. Throwing on a robe, she headed down after her grandmother. Mike and Tina were seated at the dining table having a small meal and he instantly stood as he saw the trio approaching. 


“I’ll call you once the ritual is done,” Victoria said. Mike nodded and watched as they joined hands and in an explosion of bright light were gone.

“Henry will know the moment the ritual starts, so it’s important you do everything you can to keep him from stopping us, Derrick. Victoria, once you’ve disrobed, stand in the center of the room and repeat the words on the page I gave you. I’ll handle the rest.”

Derrick led the way through the secret passage again and Loretta grabbed Victoria’s arm before she started down the stairs. “I know Tina’s life means a lot to you,” she sighed. “As much as my friend Nova. But, we’re old. We’ve had our time. If things don’t look as though they are heading the way they should, save the girl.”

Victoria nodded solemnly and joined Derrick down the stairs. She quickly undressed and stepped into the middle of the room in a circle Loretta had drawn on the floor. With a deep breath, Victoria twisted the cap off the vial around her neck, and swallowed the draught of Derrick’s blood. Loretta placed candles around her granddaughter, lit them and nodded for her to begin. 


“Vade, daemon. Anima tua in inferno est. Remitto te!” Victoria spoke and poured the remainder of her blood over a special candle. Loretta invoked their family’s magic and Victoria slowly began to levitate. (Go, demon. Your soul belongs in Hell. I send you back!)

As anticipated, a loud explosion erupted above them and they could hear the thundering steps of someone approaching. “IT’S HIM!” Nova shouted, “HE’S HERE!”

“Keep going, Victoria!” Loretta urged. Victoria continued chanting the words, feeling the runes heat up on her skin. Before long they were beginning to vanish and she could see the same thing was happening to Nova.

As the last of the words left her lips, a large winged-beast flew down the stairs and charged for the group. Derrick quickly intercepted him, tackling the monster into a corner and the pair began battling it out.

Nova screamed as if she felt every blow, every kick and every swipe of Derrick’s claws. “They’re still connected,” Loretta shouted, tossing a vial toward Victoria. “Drink, drink and repeat the words again!”


Doing as her grandmother insisted, the ritual began again. Victoria watched as Derrick took powerful blows from the demon; fists that rocked the vampire and she forced herself to focus on the task at hand.

With one final strike, Derrick was off his feet and slow to recover. The beast was free and charging right for Victoria. Just as he’d reached her, Loretta jumped in her place and the monster struck her, throwing the elder witch into the wall on the other side of the room. His attention was once again on Victoria.

The spell was complete and the monster froze in place. And as he shrank down to his natural size, the binds that held Nova broke. A colorful receptacle appeared in front of them. Switching gears, Victoria began reading from another page. This time, the incantation was to imprison the imp back inside his enchanted vault for good. Victoria turned and looked the creature in the eyes as she spoke the final word: “Occludo.” (Lock up.)


Pulling her robe on again, Victoria rushed over toward her grandmother. “I’m alright, I’m fine,” Loretta groaned, getting to her feet. “Did it work?”

Retrieving her phone, Victoria placed a call to Mike to her the results of their effort. Sighing with relief she nodded emphatically to her grandmother. Derrick approached from behind, having healed from his battle with the underworld creature. “Are you ok?” Victoria asked, wrapping her arms around her lover’s neck.

“As good as can be,” he smiled, grasping her in his arms.

“I’m sorry, I wanted to help…”

“You had a job to do and I was fine. Although, you could have made him tinier from the start,” he laughed. “That would have been a BIG help!”

Nova stood in front of Loretta, her color and life having returned to her, “Thank you,” she said woefully. “I don’t know how much longer I would have lasted down here.” Loretta wrapped her sister witch in her arms and squeezed her tight.


Derrick and Victoria returned to her place, while Loretta saw Nova home. Mike was waiting with Tina to thank them personally. After ensuring she was well and there were no magical side effects, he and Tina headed back to his place. “Well, this was certainly not where I thought tonight was headed,” Derrick sighed as he joined Victoria in the bedroom.

“I know. Italian food, wine, alone time and then…”

“Exactly. I swear I can never leave you alone for another second or else Mike is going to pop in with some dire supernatural emergency that steals you away.” He paused, lost in thought a moment before speaking again. “Tonight, was especially scary; watching you perform a spell that no one in your family had ever done before. For a moment there, I thought…”

“Yeah, me too. But, thanks to my pocket vamp, I was prepared for anything.”

“Pocket vamp?” Derrick laughed. “Yeah, sure. I’ll be anything you want me to be.” Leaning down, he captured her lips in a passionate kiss. Hades hopped up on the bed beside them and he groaned. “Looks like tonight’s just not my night.”

Laughing, he rolled, placing Victoria on top of him and sighed as she tenderly stroked her fingers down his chest. “No. But you can have all the others for the rest of my days.”

“Deal!”


Four days later, Victoria and Mike drove out to the Sinclair estate from the 911 call again. With keys in hand, they entered through the front door. “Wow,” Victoria whistled as the door closed behind them. “It’s like opening the door to a time capsule.”

“Yeah, tell me about it,” Mike said, waving a hand in front of his face to diffuse the unsettled dust. “Since the couple’s son predeceased them, there was no one left to take ownership so the place just sat.”

“Which means, no clean up.”

“That would be correct,” Mike said, leading the way to the room where the bodies had been found.


Old, dry blood stains encrusted the library floor and two small chairs beside the fireplace. An entire case of books had also received some spatter and there were several patterns within the blood on the floor which appeared to be drag marks.

“So, looks like the bodies fell about here and someone dragged them to those seats to pose them,” Mike said, reenacting the crime.

“Yes. And it would appear they took their time staging the area so it would appear as a murder suicide. Reading through the case notes, the weapon was found in Hank Sinclair’s hand. Gunshot residue tests positively indicated he could have fired a weapon.”

“Yeah, but you and I both know that could have just been residual transfer from having held a fired weapon.”


“True. Plus, according to the M.E., Hank seemed to have suffered a more grievous wound. His face nearly being blown off once he was placed in that seat,” Victoria said, moving around behind the armchair near the fireplace.

“The only reason it was ruled suspicious circs is because the crime scene techs found traces of Hank’s blood within the drag marks from the door to the chair. That means he would have had to have already been injured before ‘dragging’ Maureen to her armchair.”

“Only one wound was discovered on Hank which they determined to be the shot to the face. However, if the killer was so keen to make it look like murder suicide, that final blast could have been done in such a manner to completely conceal his first wound.”

“Which I believe to be the case,” Mike said, circling around behind Victoria, he held her and, using a pretend weapon, staged how he felt the deed took place. “The killer would have incapacitated Hank first. Once he was out, Maureen was shot as she entered through the library door. Spots of her blood was found in the hallway leading into the room from a blast radius.”


“The main issue was the locked door, right? The original investigative team was unable to explain how the killer got in or out if the door was locked and the keys were hanging in the hallway.”

“Well, obviously, there was a second set of keys made. The problem is, no one copped to having them.”

“Of course not, that would make them an instant suspect.” The two detectives stood for a while, going over the circumstances of the case and taking in the facts of the crime. After a while, Victoria read over the other notes in the back of the casefile. “Mike?”

“Hmm?”

“Did you read anything about the first team of detectives speaking to this neighbor here?” she asked, pointing toward a man whose profile stated he was the neighbor to the back of the property. 


“No. He wasn’t interviewed as far as I could tell. He has a back-facing property and it wasn’t believed the Sinclairs ever interacted with him. Why?”

Handing him the folder, she watched as he read over the last two lines on the prior complaints form. “Huh. He’d reported the Sinclairs on a number of occasions for property line disputes. Apparently, he believed when they installed the back fence, they encroached on his property by 2.5 feet.”

“Enough to kill for?”

“Knowing the kinds of murder cases we’ve handled in the past, I’m sure there are some who wouldn’t give up an inch, let alone almost three feet. I think we need to look into this neighbor a little closer.”

“Definitely. He’d be a viable suspect, especially considering no one would have seen him entering or leaving the property since his place is right behind theirs.”


Turning off the lights and closing the old home, the duo made a plan to seek an interview with the neighbor and pursue him as a possible suspect in the double murder. As Mike drove, Victoria couldn’t help but notice the smile on his face. “You seem especially happy. How’s Tina?”

“She’s well. Back home with my sister and none-the-wiser. Of course, she’s going to need a new dentist but, that’s just something that happens when yours goes back to Hell. Plus, I like this.”

“Like what?”

“This. Investigating with you. Solving cold cases. It’s nice you know. I’m glad to have this one off my books. And not only that, sometimes I miss this you know? Cases like this. Normal stuff.”

“Normal? I don’t think neighbors killing neighbors is exactly normal.”

“You know what I mean. It’s not supernatural.”

“Well…”

“Well, what?”

“There is still one unexplained element of the case.”

“Oh yeah? What’s that?

“If both the Sinclairs were dead, and the neighbor is obviously not keen on telling on himself, who made the 911 call? Analysts said it was the son’s voice, but we know he died years earlier.”

“You had to bring that up, didn’t you?”

“I’m just saying. I think the Sinclairs had a little help from their deceased son…at least in reporting about their deaths.”

“Some things are just better left unknown.”

“Whatever helps you sleep at night, Partner,” Victoria laughed and settled into her seat.


No comments:

Post a Comment