Sunday, July 7, 2024

79: The Dollhouse – Pt. 1


“Victoria…”


“I’m waiting for you…”


“We will be together again soon…”


“Good morning, Gorgeous,” Derrick said, watching Victoria stretch and roll over. He gently caressed her hair from her face before placing a kiss on her forehead. “Breakfast is ready.”

“What? I don’t get served in bed?”

“I’d be more than happy to do that but, you know that means we’ll never get out of this bed.”

“Mmm. You say that like it’s a problem,” Victoria purred as she spun herself on top of Derrick. His hands skirted up her thighs before coming to rest on her hips and she sensuously stroked his chest. “Last night was amazing. I wouldn’t mind a repeat. Besides, I still have a debt to work off.”

“And while I’d love to take you up on that offer, we have a busy day today. The Elders called.”

“Perfect mood ruiner,” Victoria sighed as she fell off of Derrick onto her back. “What did they want?”


“Progress report. They wanted to know how well your training is going. Since passing the Dawning, they are curious if your powers have manifested in any other ways.”

“Wait, what does that mean? What exactly did the Dawning do to me that I should be on the lookout for?”

“That…they didn’t say,” Derrick shrugged. “But either way, we need to focus on the training. They believe the cult is one step closer to summoning the Destroyer. So…get up, get dressed, eat and let’s get to work.”

“Fine,” she said, swinging her legs over the side of the bed, “but you’re going to owe me tonight.”

“Deal.”


After making her way downstairs she stopped in the foyer, taking notice of several large boxes in the front room. “Are you going somewhere?” Victoria asked, “What’s all this stuff?”

“These are things I found in the attic when I was making space for your magic room; stuff left behind by previous homeowners. I guess no one bothered to check the upper loft. I’m just now getting around to dealing with it.”

“Hmm. So, you’re donating it?”

“Well, I have no interest in keeping any of it. I figured someone might find some use for it.”

Victoria rummaged around a few of the boxes, taking in the old photographs and knickknacks; some decades old. “Aww. You’re taking Annabelle?”

“I’m sorry, who?”


“Annabelle,” Victoria repeated, pointing toward the creepy doll sitting atop one of the boxes. “I set her in the magic room. She kinda added a vibe, you know?”

“I had no idea. I just assumed it fell off one of the rafters and you just left it there not wanting to touch it.”

“Why wouldn’t I want to touch it?”

“Well, you know, in my day…”

“Oh my god! You did not just start a sentence like that!” Victoria giggled watching a frown turn Derrick’s lip before he continued.

“…dolls were made in the actual image of the children they were gifted to; including use of their real hair,” Derrick replied, ignoring her comment.

“Ew! That’s disturbing…and a little gross,” Victoria said, fixated on the small figurine. “I’ve actually touched her hair a few times. That’s REALLY unsettling.”

“Then I’m guessing you no longer care for that ‘vibe?’”


“Absolutely not!” Victoria said with a gasp. “Sorry, Annabelle. It’s time we parted ways. I’m sure there’s a market out there for creepy, old dolls.”

Derrick smiled as she placed the doll back on top of one of the boxes. “So, I’ve been thinking.”

“Oh yeah? What about?”

“Well, you spend so much time over here, not a bad thing,” he added when she turned with a frown. “I was just gonna ask what you thought about moving in—full time.”

“Wow, Derrick, you want me to move into the Murder House? Uh. I don’t know. That’s kind of a big step, don’t you think?”

“Well, I mean it can be but, as I’ve said, you’re always here. You’ve completely taken over the left side of my chest of drawers and part of the walk-in. You sleep here four out of seven nights a week. Would it really be that huge of a step?”

“Well, when you put it into perspective like that, I suppose not,” Victoria sighed. “But see, the thing is, I…kinda like being able to step away every now and again. Sometimes, I need a breather and some time to myself. Can I really expect that if we were living together full time?”

“Yes, of course, Victoria. I’d never take you for granted. I know there are times when you need your space and I can absolutely give you those moments. Just because we’d be living under one roof doesn’t mean I’m gonna smother you every second of the day. Nothing would really change except that I’d see you the rest of the week too.”


“Maybe. Will you let me think on it?”

“Of course. You don’t have to give me your answer right this moment. But I hope you’ll really consider it. I’d love to have you here. Switching gears,” he said, sensing her anxiety, “How are you feeling? After everything?”

“Fine, I guess.”

“Still having the dreams?” he asked. Victoria looked up at him with a curious expression. He was on a fishing expedition; she knew them well. With a sigh, she nodded. “The good news? I don’t think they are getting worse and a lot of them stopped causing injury.”

“And the bad news?”

“The bad news, they seem to be happening more frequently now; ever since…”

“The Dawning?” Again, Victoria nodded. “It could be what the Elders were talking about; your dreams seem to be premonitions of sorts.”


“Let’s hope not.”

“Why is that?” Before Victoria could answer, the doorbell rang and Derrick excused himself to answer. Victoria returned to looking through the boxes stacked in the hallway.

“Right here,” Derrick said as he re-entered the hallway with a deliveryman behind him. “These are the ones for the toy store.”

“Wow! That’s a lot more than I expected,” the man said, glancing briefly over the boxes. “And some of these are antiques, dad’s gonna really love that!”

“I thought he might. Victoria, I’d like to introduce you to Nick Warner of Warner and Son’s Toy Emporium.”

“It’s nice to meet you,” Victoria said, shaking the man’s hand.

“Pleasure,” he smiled in return.


“This is for you also,” Derrick said, handing the man a plain white envelope. “And please, tell your dad I said hello.”

“Of course. We really appreciate this. Dad said you’ve been one of his biggest benefactors since he opened—well, your family. I imagine you’re just continuing a tradition your dad started since my grandpa opened the store over 80 years ago.”

“Something like that,” Derrick smirked. “I just enjoy supporting local businesses, especially ones family-owned.” Derrick helped the man gather up the boxes of toys and walk them out to his truck.


“Really? Your dad?” Victoria laughed when he returned.

“What can I say? I’m old! But you knew that.”

“Aww, it’s ok, you want me to massage your old bones?” she continued laughing.

“YES!” Derrick shouted, scooping Victoria up in his arms.

“DERRICK!” The sound of her energetic laughter started all over again as he swung her around once before placing her on the ground again.

“I love the sound of your laugh.”

“Good! If I keep meeting your friends, I’m sure you’ll hear plenty more, Gramps,” she tossed over her shoulder as she headed into the dining room for breakfast.


“AH! Perfect, you’re back,” Fred Warner exclaimed, watching his son haul in boxes of donations. “This is great.”

“That’s not all,” Nick said, producing the check Derrick had given him. “This will definitely help keep the lights on.”

“Oh, that Constantine is something else.”

Nick headed back out to gather more boxes while Fred got to work sorting through their latest endowments. He was in awe over many toys he hadn’t seen since he was a child. There were some even older than that. Stopping as he opened the second box, his attention was captured by the large antique doll. “Now what is this?” he said, examining the toy in greater detail.

Removing one of the shoes, to ensure there were no ownership labels, he again froze noticing small lettering on the bottom of her foot. Fred grabbed a magnifying glass to better inspect the inscription.

“What’s this say now? ‘Repone animam meam,’” he read aloud. “It’s not a name.” He shrugged and placed the toy back into the box, starting outside to help his son. (Replace my soul.)


“Ooh!” Victoria exclaimed, feeling lightheaded momentarily. Derrick wrapped an arm around her as she fell against the wall.

“Are you ok?”

“Yeah, I’m—I’m fine. Just a little dizzy is all.”

“Maybe we should take a break.”

“Good idea. I’m gonna take a quick shower.”

Derrick watched her leave and began cleaning up some of the loose herbs and potions when suddenly, he too was feeling faint. “I think one of your spells is lingering,” he shouted so she could hear him in the other room. “Victoria?”


Entering into the bedroom, he found her staring at herself in the mirror. She seemed fascinated by what she was looking at and he studied her a moment before clearing his throat and waited for her to turn around. “I thought you were going to shower. Are you sure you’re feeling ok?”

“Never better, Derrick! Why do you keep asking?”

“It’s just…” he paused, noticing his promise bracelet around her wrist. “Victoria?”

“Yes?”

“Your bracelet.”

“It’s quite lovely, isn’t it? Do you like it?”

“It’s black.”

“Yes. It goes with everything!”

“Right. Ok, I’m gonna run a quick errand. I’ll be back in a little bit. Do you want me to grab you anything.”

“Nope! All good here,” she smiled, but it didn’t reach her eyes and he slowly, cautiously backed out of the room.

“Stay here. I’ll be back.”

“Oh, don’t worry. I’m not going anywhere!”


Hopping onto his bike, he sped across town in search of someone who knew Victoria as well as he did. Pounding on the door of the brownstone, he waited anxiously for Victoria’s partner to answer.

“Victoria’s in trouble,” Derrick stated as Mike opened his front door.

“Do I need to um…?” Derrick stepped inside and Mike nodded. “Right, the Christmas party. I invited a supernatural creature unknowingly into my home in the spirit of the holiday!” Mike smiled, but seeing the serious look on Derrick’s face, straightened up. “Yeah, back to this thing with Vik, is she hurt?”

“No, she’s—different.”

“Different? What do you mean? I just talked to her.”

“How long ago?”

“I don’t know it must have been maybe twenty, thirty minutes ago. Right before you got here actually. She seemed fine.”

“What did you two talk about?”


“Huh, ok, actually, that was a little weird.”

“How so?”

“She asked me if I thought it would be ok to add a few more employees to the business. I told her considering the clientele we’ve been catering to lately it might not be such a great idea. She acted as though she had no idea what I meant and said I was being silly. What happened to her?”

“I’m not sure. I just know I can’t sense her soul.”

“Oh crap! That’s huge! And I’m guessing that’s something you can do because of the whole vampire thing?”

“Sort of. I made her a promise which involved some blood, some magic and a little subterfuge. The bracelet on her arm has a direct connection to me and lets me know whenever she’s in trouble or needs me.”

“That’s why it changes color!” Mike replied as he had an ‘a-ha’ moment.

“And right now, I’m not able to sense it which could only mean one thing.”

“She…couldn’t have just taken it off?” Mike asked, thinking rationally.

“No, she’s still currently wearing it. Besides, it’s not designed to come off, ever. Victoria’s soul is missing and we need to find it before something tragic happens.”

“Oh shit.”

Continue---->

No comments:

Post a Comment