Sunday, November 2, 2014

50: Strange Bedfellows – Pt. 2

*Author's note: Please excuse the lighting in some sections. I experienced a crash or two and forgot to dim them/color them flame.*


A steady stream of light, yellow in color with an orange hue beamed down onto Victoria’s face as she awakened. Still clad in her underwear, she lay sprawled out on her extra soft silk comforter doing her best to convince her body to move. She sat up on the edge of the bed and stretched, wincing from the pain in her neck. Every muscle in her body felt sore but it was the good kind. Glancing over her shoulder she found herself staring into the charming smile and reason behind the ache in her lower back and thighs. “What?” she asked of the cocky expression on Derrick’s face.

“Nothing. It just looks like someone is in need of a massage…again.”

“Uh your massage is the reason I feel so tender. They always lead to sore throats and cramped muscles.”

“What can I say? I’m an expert in pleasure.”


“Well that plus the fact you seem more and more aggressive in bed. Little, mortal me is just trying to keep up.”

“Victoria, I…”

“No,” she interrupted with a smile. “I don’t want you to apologize. I like the aggressiveness; well as long as it doesn’t turn into full blown sadomasochism. It’s just nice when you dominate.”

“Really?” Derrick asked with an arrogant tone in his voice that made Victoria’s cheeks flush with color. “Now I’m getting the picture, you naughty, little kitten.” 

Victoria laughed and tossed herself against the grinning vampire, pushing him down into the sheets of her bed as she planted kisses along his cheek leading towards his lips. “I think you live to tease me.”


“Well it’s certainly not a bad way to start the day,” he spoke in a low tone that sent shivers down her spine. Derrick pulled her in for another kiss and felt her body warm, basking in the knowledge that a single touch could light her fire. “Good morning Victoria.”

“Hey yourself. Now where’s my breakfast in bed?”

“Uh well…I uh…see the thing is…”

“No excuses. You’re the one touting your MANY degrees, including your semesters in France under ‘renowned’ chefs so by my estimation that means you should have had breakfast cooked and ready for my enjoyment five minutes ago. You’re slipping.”

“I’ll get right on that.”  


Victoria watched as he stepped out of the room and opened her bottom drawer. Liberating a small text from the nightstand, she flipped to the section she had dog-eared the night before and picked up on her reading. After her last few encounters with vampires, Victoria realized there was much more she was missing with the supernatural breed and wanted to understand exactly what she was dealing with.

She had only gotten two pages in when she heard footsteps ascending the staircase again. “What’s that?” Derrick asked looking at the book clutched in Victoria’s hands. “You brought reading material to bed? No, no, no, we’ll have none of that!” he growled and yanked the book from her hands. 


Victoria screeched and jumped to her knees as he started a game of ‘keep-away’. Tossing the book to the floor as she reached the edge of the bed, she was met with a deep kiss as she lunged towards him. Derrick pulled her against him and slowly lowered her back to the bed as Victoria moaned against his lips. “No fair, that’s cheating.”

“I’m a vampire, Victoria. We always play dirty.” He pushed himself between her legs as he continued kissing up and down her collarbone. Ever so gently he planted his mouth on hers, leisurely licking the strawberry flavored gloss off her lips. He pulled away slightly, looking down at her. Derrick’s emblazoned eyes flicked over her and he gave her a slow sexy wink that started an immediate fire between her legs.


Leaning up Victoria began to kiss him back. Gradually she worked her way around his full lips, then up across his cheek and over to his ear. “Is that so?” she whispered against him and quickly rolled Derrick to his back. He laughed in surprise as she began wrestling with him. Playfully each pinned the other until finally she locked her legs around his hips and kept him from turning her.

“Now who’s cheating?”

“What can I say? I’m a quick learner,” she laughed aloud as his fingers tickled up her sides and hurriedly grabbed at his hands to keep them away. “Derrick stop! Stop it!” she begged as she felt her feet pull from beneath him. He tried rolling her again and she leaned forward onto his shoulders dropping as much of her weight as she could, “No!”


He sighed in frustration and obvious defeat. Although he could have easily taken her at any time, he enjoyed watching her attempt to overpower him. Victoria danced her fingers across his chest and up to his face. Turning his head towards her, she devoured his lips in a kiss.

Immediately their mouths came together in an eternal kiss, soft lips touching at first. The tip of his tongue flicked across the honey softness of her lips and she parted them for him, gently accepting his intimate caress. Derrick closed his hand behind Victoria’s knee as he felt her leg slide up his hip and over his crotch. She groaned as he stopped her endeavor to tease him and pushed away, pinning him down beneath her. “I read something before you stole my book away and I’d like you to tell me if it’s true or not.”


“Alright. What comforts can I share to ease your mind, Victoria?”

“Well I know that vampires have a talent for compulsion and mind manipulation. But the book describes you as being able to also pull thoughts from people, in other words you can read minds.” Derrick smirked and Victoria’s eyebrows rose in surprise. “So it’s true then?” He nodded and she continued. “You can read my thoughts right this second?”

“Of course I can. I’ve always been able to read your thoughts. But I’ve never abused the talent, Victoria. Whenever I’m around you I block them out as best I can. Besides you always speak your mind so I never had to actually use it.”



“So not only do you know how I feel all the time courtesy of my charmed bracelet but you always knew what I was thinking as a special bonus as well?”

“In a sense I suppose,” he nodded his head in agreement and watched her eyes swivel around her head as she thought over their interactions. “Would it make you feel better if I told you what it was that I wanted?”

“There’s no need for that,” she smiled and rubbed her hand over his crotch and the stiffening arousal behind his zipper. “I already know what you want.” Victoria moaned as she straddled her legs on either side of Derrick’s body. Pulling her shirt off over her head, she felt his fingers hook into the sides of her panties quickly assisting with getting them off. Victoria laughed as Derrick lifted his hips and slid his pants off. 


He smiled up at her as she gripped his shaft delicately in her hand and pushed him deep inside her silken tunnel. Her head fell back as he touched every spot inside her and she chewed her bottom lip as she began moving against him. Derrick held her firmly, watching as she rotated her hips, grinding her pelvis into his. Victoria slid her hands up and down his chest as she fell forward, looking at him with hungry eyes. “Are you going to dominate me this time?” he groaned as the heat of her walls enveloped him and he dug his fingers into the flesh of her ass.

“I don’t think that’s even possible,” she giggled as she swayed her hips on top of him before pinning his hands above his head. “Don’t think I don’t know you let me win earlier.”

“Well I am a generous guy.”


“Mmm which is why you get rewarded,” she sighed and moved her fingers between her thighs. Placing her index against her clit, she rubbed slow circles at first and felt her body quiver with the added stimulation. Her movements were teasing and she languidly rolled herself against him, building up the passion as she felt him slip in and out of her. “God Derrick, you’re so big. You fill me so full.”

“Oh dirty talk. Is that what you think I want?” The soft flesh of her thighs slid up and down his hips and he groaned as he fought the desire to turn her over, pin her beneath him and take her hard. 


“Not dirty talk, just an observation,” she moaned, her voice deep with lust and starving. Victoria rocked herself faster, leaning over to give Derrick a sensuous kiss. Their tongues rolled in a battle of wills and he groaned into her mouth. The vibrations of the moan sent chills up her spine that left her lips tingling as she pulled away. He fought his arms away and quickly placed them on her thighs again helping to lift her each time she moved as she thrashed around furiously on top of him. “Mmm, that’s so good,” her tongue licked over her lips as he reached up to play with her breasts, fondling her with a gentle massage and flicking her nipples.


She couldn’t think straight as the sensations between her legs increased the longer her body slid against his. Victoria felt her legs tremble and she stared down into Derrick’s eyes. He watched those chocolate brown orbs glisten as her soft moans took on a new intensity, she was close. Corkscrewing his hips, Derrick lifted Victoria higher on top of him and she gasped softly when he leaned up and grabbed her by the hair and pushed into her harder.


“Yes, like that, right there!” she grunted with vigor and dug her heels into the bed. Her head leaned back, her eyes rolling in her skull and Victoria’s palms pressed firmly against his shoulders as her fingernails dug lightly into his skin. A burning hot flame licked its way up her spine, exploding into infinite embers inside her. She screamed his name and a few obscenities as she came hard on top of him. Her breasts slapped against Derrick’s chest as he explored her depths and he closed his mouth over her nipple.


Victoria’s body tensed and tingled and she moaned louder in his ear. “You know something Victoria?” Derrick snarled as his hands pulled her deeper against him, the tension in his body almost at its peak. “I think I like having you on top of me.” Waves of pleasure flowed through him, one after the other as white heat radiated from her core to the very tips of her fingers. Her inner muscles gripped him, holding him where she wanted and she felt him go rigid with every muscle tensing. 


Derrick grunted louder with every thrust into her and each whip of her hips was met with a moan of her own. Victoria’s tightness increased the sensations between their bodies and she felt his shaft expand inside of her as she squeezed his body hard between her legs. Twice more he brought her to orgasms, which she thought would short-circuit her brain at any moment. 


Working her hips into a deep thrust she took him in entirely, slamming into Derrick’s body. She could feel his balls tighten into rocks on her ass cheeks. Her clit stiffened as she moved against him and it rubbed over the base of his mound getting its own stimulation the faster she twisted.


Derrick grabbed her thighs and pistoned himself upwards into her for endless minutes, until finally exploding hot lava into her frenzied hips. And as she felt his seed shoot inside her, Victoria’s climax peaked again. She became washed away with the tide of ecstasy, spasming, arching, screaming loudly as his hands gripped her hips tightly.


She locked her hips onto his still rolling with him making sure she got every last drop. Finally she collapsed into Derrick’s arms as she laid her head on his chest, her breasts heaving from exertion. She blew out a breath as she rolled to her side and looked up at him. “At this rate I don’t think I’m leaving this bed today.”

“Somehow I think I’m ok with that,” Derrick laughed and kissed her forehead sweetly.

“Mmm what’s burning?”

“BREAKFAST!” Derrick jumped from the bed and snatched his pants from the floor as he rushed down the stairs in nearly one stride.


Victoria got dressed and met Derrick in the kitchen, just as he was dumping the last of the ruined food down the drain. “Mmm smells like burnt bacon and eggs with a hint of French toast,” she teased, tossing his shirt over the back of the dining chair.

“I uh, yeah, sorry about that. I put it on low but I kinda got distracted upstairs.”

“What? You’re blaming me?”

“No, I’m blaming me and my animal urges but admittedly you did play a role in the demise of breakfast. It’s ok though. It gives me an excuse to burn through some of my hard earned cash and take you out to a nice restaurant or something. Where would you like to go?”


“Somehow I can’t help but see this as a ploy to get me out of the house. You know Cole’s coming over soon. I asked him to drop by with the FBI documents on that serial thing.”

“Oh, right, how could I have forgotten?” Derrick smiled wryly and dropped the pan into the sink before moving closer to where Victoria stood. “How about I go out and grab something then?”

“Or I can have cereal, it’s no big deal. Breakfast is actually my least favorite meal of the day you know? Besides, it’s supposed to snow later and I don’t want to go out in that.” Victoria glanced over at the door and noticed the normal blinking red light on the motion detector was green and inquisitively glanced over at Derrick. “Did you go somewhere last night?”


“Uh…no,” Derrick lied, staring her right in the face. “Why do you ask?”

“The alarm isn’t on,” she motioned towards the indicator. “I know I set it before going to bed last night. You even commented about not needing it because of Hades.”

“Oh. Well maybe I turned it off when I came down to start breakfast,” he shrugged nonchalantly and stepped closer. “I guess I didn’t notice; habit you know?” he quickly added before changing the subject. “Hey can I ask you something? It’s sorta personal,” Derrick sighed, leaning onto the counter with a devilish smirk on his lips. He licked them gently, noticing Victoria’s eyes on them and she sighed and nodded her head yes. “Why do you sing when we’re in bed together?”


“Uh…” an obvious flush of red tint filled her cheeks and Derrick slowly sauntered around the counter towards her. Gently he pulled her into his arms and guided her head up until she locked eyes on him.

“Tell me.” He kissed her cheek and softly trailed his lips down her chin to the hollow of her neck. Victoria moaned and instinctively her head fell back. Derrick’s arms closed tighter around her waist as he pressed passionate kisses into her collarbone.

“I don’t…uh—I don’t know,” she replied timidly.


“Don’t be embarrassed,” he laughed lightly and squeezed her side as she inhaled a jagged breath. “It’s kinda cute.” He felt her tense again in his arms prompting him to hug her even closer. “It’s ok, Victoria. I like it. Really. It’s nice. Admittedly I’ve never heard a woman do that before when I was with her. It’s mostly ‘oh god,’ ‘harder,’ faster’ or ‘I think I’m dying.’ And while there were instances of you screaming those things, the singing was an interestingly new experience.” He pulled away and looked up into her eyes again with a smile. “You’re always full of surprises.”


“Thanks, Derrick. There’s nothing like a healthy dose of humiliation to start the day off on the right foot!”

“Well if you’d like, I could sing a refrain of that last song for you,” he laughed and watched her cover her face in embarrassment.

“You know, Derrick, on second thought I would like some breakfast. Go. Pick me up something somewhere far away.”

“Now, now, Victoria. Is that what you really want? Hmm? Me to leave and never come back?”


“I didn’t say ‘never’, just…a little while,” she giggled as his arms encircled her waist. He made kissy faces until she let their lips connect briefly and felt his hand make its way beneath her shirt, slowly working her nipple to a point. She gasped and a tender moan escaped her lips when she pressed herself forward against his teasing fingers only to have him pull away abruptly and straighten her blouse. “You’re evil, Derrick.”

“More than you know, Victoria,” he grinned and leaned forward to kiss her again but was interrupted by the loud, surprising ringing of the doorbell.

“Cole’s here.”

“Yes, what great timing he has,” Derrick groaned as Victoria pulled away to go answer the door. He tossed on his shirt and leaned against the refrigerator, watching the switch of her hips as she walked through the foyer.


“Hey!”

“Hey Cole! Wow, that looks like quite a bit.”

“Yeah there are two more boxes in my car. I figured I should bring over everything going back to that crime 25 years ago.”

“Thanks Cole! This is great. I really appreciate this.”

“It’s no problem at all, Vik. You know I love helping you when I can.” Derrick watched as Cole eyed Victoria while he followed her into the kitchen. The look on his face was purely predatory and Derrick was not pleased by the way he watched his girl’s every move. Finally realizing they weren’t alone, Cole glanced up at the vampire with an arrogant smile as he stroked a hand through his fallow brown hair. “Derrick,” he sighed and leaned back against the wall. “Always a pleasure.”


“Is it? I should really work on that.” He could read the thoughts going through the man’s mind. Derrick ground his nails into the palms of his hands, trying to get a grip on his temper as he regarded Victoria’s ex; although the thought of leaving him a bleeding, sobbing mess on the floor was very appealing right now. “It’s so kind of you to lend a hand to Victoria, free of all selfish gains.”

Cole’s eyes narrowed briefly as he picked up on the implication and he shrugged casually before joining Victoria beside the doorway. “Yeah, of course. It’s what friends do.”

“I’m glad we can agree. Friends should help friends,” Derrick replied, placing emphasis on the word. He looked at the confused expression on Victoria’s face and offered a fake, generous smile to her company. “You hungry, Cole? I was just about to head out for some fuel for Victoria. I could grab you something as well.”


“Ah not really; I had an orange juice before I came over. But thanks.”

“Just an orange juice?”

“Yeah I’ve never really been a huge breakfast guy.”

“You know you shouldn’t really skip breakfast, a growing boy like you. It’s the most important meal of the day. Me, I used to love breakfast as a kid. In fact in the days of palace life I’d have already eaten by now.” Victoria glanced over at Derrick as he continued speaking to Cole, curious as to where the conversation was leading. “You an eggs and bacon man or more of a toast and coffee kind of guy?”

“I’m pancakes and sausage with maple syrup.”

“Ah, the classics. I myself prefer something nice and hot; fresh from the tap.”


“Of course though you are trying to be careful about what you eat these days, Derrick,” Victoria interrupted as Cole looked at the vampire inquisitively. “You never know when you’ll bite something that’ll bite back.”

“Yeah? I don’t know, Victoria,” he shrugged and grinned sadistically towards the federal agent. “When I get peckish, anything could happen. Maybe I should feed on something, even if it doesn’t go down well. My tummy’s really rumbling for something in a brunette. You work out Cole?”

“Ok, Derrick, there’s a Starbucks just three blocks away. I’d love a Mocha Cookie Crumble Frappuccino, please. Cole, you want anything?”

“No. I’m good,” he growled through clenched teeth as Victoria shoved Derrick through the front door. 

“Grab some muffins too while you’re out. See ya in a bit.” She pushed her back against the wall and exhaled a heavy sigh as Derrick started down the driveway.


“What the hell was that?”

“What? Derrick? Nothing. No, he was just kidding.”

“Kidding? About eating me? I don’t know, Vik. Perhaps that makes me the weird one here then because I don’t find humor in that sort of thing, do you?”

“I-I’m sorry, Cole. You’re right. I’ll have a talk with him when he gets back, ok?” she responded softly, stroking a hand over his arm comfortingly.


“No,” he sighed and stepped closer. “Don’t worry about it, Vik. Maybe you’re right. Maybe it was just a joke and I’m just overreacting. I mean the idea he’s a…you know, kinda hasn’t really settled for me still. I didn’t mean to take it out on you,” he smiled and teased a hand down her side as he pulled her against him, tightening his grip in a gentle, unexpected hug.

“It’s ok,” she responded slowly and briefly completed the embrace before patting his back lightly. “So you find anything useful in these files?” Victoria asked, pulling away and looking at him expectantly.


“Actually I did. Something rather surprising to me too and I’m sure you’re probably not aware either.” Grabbing the top folder from the box, Cole began reading as Victoria listened on. “In July of 1982, one Delores Carson was admitted to the emergency room for second and third degree burns to the left side of her body. She appeared confused and belligerent to attending staff as they tried to care for her wounds.”

“What?!” Victoria shrieked and snatched the file from Cole’s hands. “My mother was hospitalized for severe burns? That…that can’t be right. Her left arm, leg, face and head were severely scorched. Pounds of charred flesh were removed and there was little hope of recovery. The next morning when doctors went to check on her, she was gone. No news of what happened to the burn victim ever surfaced,” Victoria continued reading, becoming more and more confused. “This makes no sense! My Mother wasn’t burned. You’ve seen her Cole. Does she look like someone who’s had skin grafts to conceal burns?”


“No I suppose not. You know it says that it took several firemen to hold her down and get her strapped to the gurney to bring her in. I’d guess that meant she was pretty strong too. She was found near Grandview Park, sparking ashes and had smoke rising from her person,” Cole paused and glanced over at Victoria as she continued reading through the dated report. “Uh, so…does this have something to do with, you know…witch stuff?” Victoria’s eyes met his and he nervously rubbed his hand over the back of his neck as an uneasy, stiff smile drew his lips tight. “Well I mean, you know, I’m assuming your mom can do what you can. Not to sound like every son-in-law in the country but, your Mom’s a witch, right?”

Victoria giggled a little which eased the anxiety Cole felt over speaking the implication and he sighed easily as she nodded her head yes. “It’s where I get my powers; my Mom and my Grandma.”

“Your Grams too? Wow. Remind me to be on my best behavior when I meet her.”


“You should be. Otherwise she might turn you into a toad!”

“Haha yeah right. Wait, Vik, she wouldn’t really do that right?”

“Depends,” Victoria shrugged and started for the living room. “You got anything else to show me? You said there were boxes of stuff.”

“Right. Let me run out to my car and I’ll grab them for ya. Be right back.”

Victoria moved the box with her to the living room and fell back onto her couch, immersing herself in the file, thinking over and over again about the possibilities. Maybe Cole was right. Maybe her Mom really was burned and used some sort of mystical cure to fix herself. But then that begs the questions, who or what burned her and why? Was it a spell gone wrong? Or could it very possibly have been one of the many bad sects and covens her Grandma had warned her about. “That’s the last of it,” Cole announced as he dropped a second box onto the floor near the sofa. “I’m not exactly sure what you wanted with all of this Vik but it’ll take a little while to get through it all.”


“Well luckily for me, I have help. Derrick can read through some and Mike should be over a little later today.” The front door opened and Derrick entered with a bag from Starbucks and a cup holder with two cups of coffee.

Cole visibly frowned when he leaned over and gave Victoria a peck on the lips and handed her the special ordered Frappuccino. “Alright, well you let me know if you need more eyes. I have to get back to work but I’m free later tonight.”

“Thanks Cole, I will.”


She walked him to the door and he leaned over, pulling her into a hug. “Be careful ok? I know this serial thing is heating up especially with the discovery of another body but…”

“What? There was another victim?”

“Yeah, it was on the news earlier this morning. I thought you knew.”

“No! I had no idea. Did the police say anything?”

“You know the drill it’s all hush-hush as far as the media goes. I can get my hands on the full report for you if you’d like.”

“That would be great, Cole! Thank you.”

“Absolutely.” He looked up and caught Derrick’s gaze and sighed. “I’ll catch you later Vik.”


“See ya,” she waved him off and shut the door. Victoria waited for Cole to back out of her yard before turning to the smiling vampire in her living room. “Alright Mr. Passive-Aggressive, you mind telling me what that was all about?”

“What?” he smiled demurely and took a sip of his drink.

“Don’t act innocent with me! You live to mock Cole and you need to lay off a little. Cole’s had it rough the past couple of months and the last thing he needs is for the guy who’s sleeping with his ex giving him a hard time.” 


Derrick opened his mouth as he started to say something but then thought better. He had a few choice words about her ex but it was obvious Victoria was not in the right frame of mind to hear them. Instead, he sighed and leaned back against the sofa, watching as Victoria shifted her weight from foot to foot waiting on him to respond.

When it became apparent he was going the silent route, she scooped up the file she had been reading and joined him on the couch. “Hey?”

“Yeah?”

“You’d never met my Mom until you crashed Thanksgiving dinner right?”


“Right.”

“But you’ve known Nana for years.”

“Yes.”

“Did she ever mention my Mom having had some horrific accident that might have left her um…scarred?”

“No. Loretta rarely spoke about her daughter with me. I figured it was because of the way your Mom disowned your Grandmother. Why? Where is this heading?”

Victoria pushed the file towards Derrick and he took a quick look. “It doesn’t make sense to me.”

“Maybe you should try calling her; Loretta, not your Mom,” Derrick shrugged and resumed his position against the cushions.



Victoria groaned aloud and snatched her phone from the coffee table. Loretta had returned home a week later but said nothing about where she had gone or why she’d left so abruptly. Victoria was persistent; trying her best to pry the information from her matriarch but Loretta remained tight-lipped. Angrily she punched in the numbers to her Grandmother’s house, ranting as she listened to it ring. “All these secrets are seriously driving me fucking…”

Hello?

“Nana, hey. It’s Victoria. How are you?”

I’m well dear. How’s my favorite granddaughter?

“Not bad,” she frowned at the moniker but chose to bite her tongue.

Any magical consequences from your spell?

“None yet.”


That’s good to hear. I remember my first solo spells. The larger ones always gave me such a buzz but also left little reminders in my bones. I remember this one time I was fighting a Walriderske and…

“I’m sorry to interrupt Nana but I called for a specific reason.”

Of course, go on dear.

“Has Mom ever been burned?” Victoria asked, getting straight to the point.

What? Why would you ask such a thing, Sweetheart?

“Because I got my hands on a report stating that she was admitted to the hospital some time in 1982. Doctors felt her injuries were fatal and yet…”

It’s a little complicated, Victoria.

“How much more complicated can my life get at this point Nana?”

Much.

“Nana! You refuse to tell me about where you went last week. You won’t talk to me about that parchment or answer any of the endless questions I had about the man in my dreams so I need you to answer me, straight, just once. Please!”


Is Derrick there with you right now?

“Of course he is, why?”

Victoria, sweetheart, this is something I think you and I need to discuss in person. Do you think you could come and see me? Without Derrick I mean.

“I can’t right now. I’m in the middle of something that’s brought me around to Mom and I need to know what I’m dealing with before things get too heavy.”

Soon then?

“Nana, you’re scaring me. What’s so important it has to be discussed face-to-face? And why all the secrecy around Derrick all of a sudden?” she asked, barely glancing over her shoulder towards him. Derrick’s ears perked up but he feigned disinterest as Victoria continued speaking to Loretta.


Because there are just some things that are better kept in the family. And that’s all I’m going to say about that.

“If I send him away, will you tell me then?”

Victoria…

“Please?”

Victoria heard her grandmother sigh and imagined she’d begun pacing as the sound of heels clicking a wooden floor echoed over the line. “I don’t know, Victoria. Even if he left he’d still have a way of figuring it out with you. You haven’t perfected the craft to better understand how to block him from your thoughts. Not to mention that bracelet you’re wearing. You’re connected to him!

“Fine! Just forget I asked. I’ll figure it out on my own!” Victoria pulled the phone away from her ear and prepared to press ‘end’ just when her grandmother’s voice shouted on the other end.

IT’S IN OUR BLOOD!

“What? What does that mean, Grams?”


“Victoria, you, your mother and I all have unique qualities coursing through our veins; rare in the supernatural world. My blood is like an ability boost. I can make a vampire faster, an ogre stronger or a giant taller for instance. Your Mother’s blood has regenerative properties; she can heal the sick, including her burns. And can you honestly ever remember being sick as a child? And your blood can change history, predict futures and rewrite destinies. Plus, as the baby of the Coleman line, you possess the ability to harness mine and your mother’s powers as well. Your blood can do all three.

“Why didn’t anyone tell me? Now Mom’s Thanksgiving rant makes a little more sense. Is there any other life changing news you have to disclose, Nana? Now would be the time.”

Victoria, sweetie, I understand your frustration. But you must understand information like this must remain guarded. There is a long list of creatures who would like nothing more than to rip us apart and drain us or chain us to some basement floor as a never ending fountain of power.” 

“Alright, fine, but tell me honestly, why did Mom renounce her magic?”

She was attacked,” Loretta sighed as she felt pressured to relive the day that turned her only daughter against her. “She was pregnant with you and it made her powers a bit…wonky. She was casting magics uncontrollably. It led to the destruction of a sacred tomb, one that housed the dragon matriarch of the Coleman lineage.” 


“I’m sorry, come again? We’re descended from dragons?”

Yes. Newly awakened, the dragon sought out the cause of her disturbance and found your mother. She and I fought her off as best we could but, Dee was severely injured. After she healed, she decided it would be best to give up her claim to our magics and tried her best to keep you from it as well.” She paused a moment and waited for her granddaughter to say something. Are you ok? Do you want to come here and talk to me? We can…we can talk about anything and everything.

“I can’t now. I have company coming over. I’ll call you later.”

Victoria…” she hung the phone up abruptly and rubbed at her throbbing temples. Derrick sat up towards the edge of his seat, glancing up at her solemnly.

“What did she say?”

“That I’m not as crazy as I thought.” The doorbell rang and Victoria saw Mike waiting behind the glass panel. “We can talk about it later. Right now, I have more important things to worry about; specifically this serial killer,” she replied as she went to let him in.


They worked well into the night but made little progress on the boxes Cole had liberated from the FBI. After Mike left, Victoria decided to take a break and popped in a comedy to relieve some stress. She snuggled against Derrick’s chest and rolled the blanket over her legs. Looking down at her, he gently kissed her forehead and smiled when she fed him a mouthful of popcorn. “I don’t want him hugging you,” he remarked as he pushed play on the Super Troopers DVD.

“What? Who? Mike?”

“Cole.”

“Cole? What?”

“I don’t like him and I don’t trust him.”

“He’s just a friend Derrick; a very helpful friend.”

“No, he’s your ex-boyfriend; you can never be friends with an ex.”


“What? Yes you can. I am. Where is this coming from?”

“Him.”

“Him? What’s that even mean?”

“Victoria, I don’t want this to become misinterpreted so I’ll speak plainly. Cole can never be your friend because he’ll never stop loving you. And because of that he’ll continue pushing the limits you’ll go until he gets what he wants from you and as far as I’m concerned, that’s never gonna happen again.” Derrick looked down at her once more but this time his expression was much more frank. “Never.”


“And are you gonna tell me how you know all of this?” she asked, swiveling around in his arms so she could look into his face.

“I heard him think it.”

“Oh I see, you ‘heard him think it’. Derrick,” Victoria started, hiding a smile as she bit down on her bottom lip, “Do you know why Cole and I broke up?”

“Yes, of course I do. He was a jealous, possessive control freak with an ego as big as his…car. To be honest I don’t blame you, no one likes that. And this is definitely not that. You’re free to hug any guy you want, just not him.” He drew a smile from her with his signature smirk and Victoria nodded and resumed her position against his chest.


“Ok, Derrick. You can have this one. But you’d better get that green-eyed monster of yours in check.”

“I drive a motorcycle, Victoria. I don’t have narcissistic issues or the need to compensate for something that requires sports cars. This isn’t jealousy; it’s the order of the jungle. And as far as I’m concerned, vampire ranks higher on the food chain than human…Cole human not you human, just to be clear.”

“Well I’m glad that’s clear. Now do you think we can get back to the movie?” He turned the volume up and she laughed as the highway patrol pulled up behind the three teens discarding their drugs and shoveled a handful of popcorn into her mouth. “Wait a second; did you just threaten to kill Cole?”

“Shh, I love this part. ‘Candy bars!’” Derrick mimicked and laughed, ignoring the detective’s question.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Hades makes the best faces! Also I don't think he's a Derrick fan!*

Continue---->

17 comments:

  1. Derrick's excuse for the alarm not being on was lame at best, but with a quick change of subject, Vik was none the wiser. Singing in bed, Vik? Really? LOL. Derrick is a walking, talking distraction. It's amazing she gets anything done. I'd have a helluva hard time. Who knows ... maybe I'd sing, too. ;-)

    I'm surprised Derrick bothered to put a shirt on when Cole arrived. I expected him to flaunt the fact that he was with Vik and Cole was not in a, 'yeah, I'm half naked in Vik's house ... what of it?' sort of way. It's definitely not good for Cole that Derrick can read minds because I'm sure his thoughts wandered out of the friend zone and into dangerous territory where Derrick is concerned.

    Loretta really dropped some bombshells on Vik. So, if Vik's blood has the ability to harness the power of all three Coleman women, does that mean when Derrick drank Vik's blood, she inadvertently made him stronger? Or does she need to learn how to harness their power before it becomes effective? I can't believe neither Vik's mother nor her grams ever told her. That's some serious power, and if she's going to be targeted because of her blood, she needs to know everything and be prepared to fight back (reminds me of the TV show Charmed, which I loved). Time to move past Witch 101 and into the graduate courses. In the meantime, Vik's still fighting the human bad guys, assuming the serial killer is human. I have to wonder if she wouldn't be better off learning her craft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Derrick easily weaseled his way out of that, sadly. And it won't be the last time he lies to Victoria.

      Haha her mind goes through a series of things while she's with that man, and who could blame her? LOL I don't think I'd be able to focus much on anything either. He seems devoted to her pleasure and that's not something easily found in partners! I wouldn't mind be stuck in bed all day with him either :P But Victoria is the type to run from her feelings, and still kinda does it, so maybe that's why she's able to get away from him at times.

      LOL! That right there would have been Derrick! For sure! But I also feel he wouldn't have wanted to make Victoria uncomfortable or upset which is why he TRIED to be civil (or at least smile) the undertone of anger was obviously there. And I think that's something Cole picked up on as well which may be good for him seeing as it was one of the reason he and Vik ended things. But Cole most definitely needs to cool it when he's around Vik. It's time he moved on to bigger and better things. Maybe Derrick can give him a shove in the right direction.

      When Derrick drank from Vik, it did make him more powerful, unfortunately the power went to his demon half (hence the whole attitude change lately). Derrick was interested in that conversation because it would help him understand what is happening to him. But Vik was too focused on the next thing to speak to him.

      Loretta and Delores are convinced that keeping Victoria in the dark is "good for her". What they really mean it's "good for them". As Vik will come to find, she's being kept from things that benefit the ones keeping the secrets a hell of a lot more than it does her! Unfortunately, her life will hang in the balance once more before certain truths are brought to light. Maybe then it'll get her family to stop being so blinded by self-preservation and try and band together as one cohesive unit of power!

      Victoria has to learn control, as you said. She has been keeping up with the practice of her craft and is learning new things every day. But she can't focus on one thing without knowing her full history and no one seems concerned with telling her. She's getting there. And pretty soon, she'll be one of the most powerful witches in the Coleman line.

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
    2. I always enjoy the extra insight from your responses to our comments. Thanks! I forgot I had a favor to ask. I adore the cuddle poses on the couch at the end of your chapter. Would you happen to remember the source? I'd like to use them in my blog at some point. :)

      Delete
    3. Thank you :)

      But of course!

      In order of shown (from the first cuddle)
      1. Red - MOE of Love - http://delight33studio.blogspot.com/2013/02/mechanics-of-emotions-love.html#pages/2

      2. Skylar - Loretta Pack - http://asgemsims.blogspot.com/2013/09/loretta-pose-pack-with-list-s.html

      3 & 4. Fyachii - Only Mine II - http://fyachii.tumblr.com/post/97808724947/fc-only-mine-pose-pack-ii-a-few-poses-from-only

      I absolutely LOVE these creators poses. Each and every one! You may recognize quite a few :P Download them all! I did :)

      Delete
    4. You are very, very welcome :)

      Delete
  2. Defiantly a lot for Vik to get a hold of now in her life.
    Hopefully Derrik doesn't actually kill Cole, but his 'not jelously' is understandable, especially if he heard Cole thinking what he said he was, that's kinda creepy as a matter of fact too that Cole was thinking such things, move on dude...
    Vik is going to have a lot to deal with now it seems, but hopefully her new found information will open her mind to more possibilities and her own abilities as well, will be interesting to see what she does with the information her grandmother gave her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victoria has so much going on I'm surprised she has been able to keep her head above water! Not only does she have work, and the endless crimes in her city, she's working on starting her own business, a devotion to learning about her witchcraft and countless enemies (which just became infinite more) trying to stop her from accessing her magic. It's gotta be overwhelming for her :(

      Haha Cole had better be careful. He's messing with a centuries' old demon and what's worse is Derrick is pretty unstable right now. He'd better back off and move on before things go from bad to well...dead!

      The more Victoria learns, the better. Hopefully this eye opening information will awaken more of her magic and prepare her for the days to come! It would be great if she was handed everything up front but...those are problems for another day.

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  3. Ok reading this late right before bed. Lots to cover but will do it tomorrow when I'm not tired and not thinking clearly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! It was a huge information dump, I know. And late reading yeah, that can be pretty overwhelming :P

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
    2. Ok...back fresh and ready to leave a better comment.

      Derrick really does have the upper hand as Vik pointed out. He can read her thoughts and that charm bracelet always lets him know how she's feeling. Kinda makes things really off balance. :(

      Have to agree with Cole. Derrick's jokes about eating him aren't really funny. It's not the first time either and Vik shouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

      The lies and secrets need to stop. Both Derrick and Loretta have told Vik she's important in this journey to save the universe or whatever but neither of them think she's important enough to get the truth. The whole truth. It's bullshit! How in the hell can they think holding back information is going to help??? I mean come on. Look at what her Mom already did. She had to know Vik would come into her powers at some point, but never made mention of it? Ever? Then wants to act all fucking high and mighty and pull the 'mom' card when Vik questions her? Nope you don't get to do that when you've lied to me my whole life. Now Loretta is doing the same thing. What do they really think that will accomplish? She can't do what needs doing if she doesn't have the whole story. Why is it no one sees to understand that fact?

      This thing with Derrick and Cole I think will come to a head soon. Derrick has issues with him, but he needs to lay off on the I am man hear me roar attitude. Vik can be friends with Cole and apparently she needs him at times. His jealousy to me says he doesn't trust Vik just as much as he doesn't trust Cole. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that's just how I see things.

      Anyway I think Vik needs to have a talk with Loretta and Loretta needs to give her full disclosure for once. I can see why Vik is so pissed. Not to mention Derrick is still hiding shit from her as well. The only person in her life that isn't keeping secrets appears to be Mike.

      Delete
    3. That is something to be really bothered by! Someone who hates showing emotions being FORCED basically into being a 24/7 beacon of moods...I can't see her liking that much. But, knowing Derrick, he can always get her to change her mind!

      Cole and Derrick may forever be at odds. But something does need to change if they both want to be in Vik's life. Victoria dismissed it with Cole because she doesn't want him to do anything rash that could get him hurt, but she did confront Derrick when he got back because she did not appreciate the way things went between them.

      HAHA I don't think that will happen any time soon. But I agree with you. The way Loretta and everyone around Victoria handles telling her things is quite annoying and frustrating for her. It'll be a miracle if she doesn't just dump them all once she gets a handle on her craft from the constant belittling of her ability to cope.

      Withholding information, no matter how small, only serves to anger her more and makes her even more determined to learn the truth (no matter how dangerous that road may be.) They don't seem to see that their lies mixed with her gung-ho attitude will place her in danger more often than not.

      I think this last conversation with Loretta may be an eye-opener (one can hope). Since Victoria hung up on her abruptly, Loretta may fear losing the only connection she has with her family and finally open up!

      That's basically what jealousy is, not having faith in either persons involved to trust they'll do the right thing. It's why Victoria did not want to be with a jealous man. And if Derrick is shaping up that way, he'd better learn from her past relationships that it will not end well for him.

      Definitely! Mike's like the one constant right now for Victoria. There needs to be a serious "come to Jesus" talk with the women in this family. They don't seem to realize how keeping things from Victoria is seriously endangering her life. Hopefully soon she can get them to talk, before a more permanent solution is found by one of her enemies!

      :)

      Delete
  4. Yikes a man like Derrick might make me sing too...he does have a way of distracting one from things. I wonder though how many more times he can sneak away before she gets suspicious of the alarm being off. Dangerous tensions between Cole and Derrick....I feel that that could lead to the demise of one if it's a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I know right! I think a lot of people can relate to Vik's utter blissfulness of being with him. Although, like Derrick said, it was unusual to hear.

      If Derrick insists on keeping his late night activities a secret from Victoria, he's gonna have to be a lot more careful. She's already hyper-aware because of her profession as a detective, and lying will only make things worse!

      Tensions are definitely still thick between Cole and Derrick and Cole seems determined to keep them that way. Still uncomfortable with the idea of what Derrick is, he hates it even more that Vik would date him! But he'll maybe want to keep his thoughts to himself...if he knows what's good for him!

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  5. I'm liking Derrick less and less. Him threatening to eat Cole was so out of line. I hope Victoria can break free from Derrick and have a heart to heart with her Grandma soon, and maybe her mom too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More and more Derrick is falling out of character with the man he was when we first met him. With this blossoming thing with Victoria coupled with the events that took place in Chapter 45, we are starting to see glimpses of his former self. Victoria will come to realize this very soon. But hopefully by then, it won't be too late.

      I agree. It is about time for those two women to truly open up about their family's history.

      Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  6. Hm. Derrick needs to watch his step. Now nana wants to talk without him around, this inner demon business, and I've not forgotten that conversation he and rowan had about her doing what he wanted her to do. And I honestly can't blame him for wanting cole off limits but he needs to slow his roll there too--both with expressing it to vic and especially how he talks to cole.

    ReplyDelete